I am one of the chemists assigned to design a cost effective procedure for handling the CARBOSE separation and recovery and hazardous waste disposal. The difficulties were trying to figure out is how we can effectively separate Carbose, sand, and naphthalene? The hypothesis we chose to solve this problem was if we put the mixture into water, alcohol, and mineral spirts, then in each solution one or more substance will not dissolve, will be visible, and also able to separate. According to our data our hypothesis supported the experiment because CARBOSE and sand are soluble in water while naphthalene is not. The CARBOSE, and sand will dissolve in the liquid solvent and the naphthalene will remain in the solid phase. In the other substances methanol and mineral spirit were not soluble in both Carbose and sand. Also in naphthalene mineral spirit was not soluble.
To accomplish this experiment we did the following as to have a successful hypothesis. First use three separate 10ml test tube, and added 10ml of each substance including water, methanol, and mineral spirt. If the Carbose is something that is water soluble, then water can be added to the mixture and then it can be filtered as the sand is insoluble and will be left behind. Also add 0.20 grams of each mixture including Carbose, naphthalene, and sand to each test tube. Try to stir or shake the substance to dissolve. If that didn’t work to dissolve the mixture we made a filter paper and placed it in a funnel then try to filter it by pouring the sample in. After that this leads us on to the third option of separation which is evaporation. At last we placed our sample test in an Erlenmeyer flask and then placed it on a hot surface with melting point 8.2 ◦c, waited to evaporate then recorded our data. After each test, try to observe if the sample was soluble in any of the substance.
My data definitely supported my hypothesis because in that experience we found out in the lab that H2o was not soluble in naphthalene, and sand. Methanol was not soluble in Carbose, and sand. Also mineral spirit was not soluble in all the substances. Some errors that might have affected my experiment was the evaporation state I think we left it a little bit too long or took it our earlier for the solution. In the filtering stage we might have spilled some of the sample result so that’s why we maybe got different result. In the last stage of massing the substance we could’ve weighed it wrong. Some places for improvement that I saw were when we place that sample into the test tube we didn’t stir it and just shocked it. Also most importantly next we could’ve improve the timing for whole long we waited for the result.
EPA United States Enviromental Protection Agency. (1991, March 20). Retrieved October 18, 2013, from http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/naphthal.html
Sarquis, M., Sarquis, J. L., & Holt McDougal. (2012). Holt McDougal modern chemistry. Orlando, Fla.: Holt McDougal.