This chapter presents the research design, the respondents of the study, the research instruments and the statistical treatment to be used in the presentation and analysis of the data.
Methods of Research Used
The descriptive method of research was used in this study. Descriptive method of research is a fact finding study with adequate interpretation of the findings. It describes what is. It describes with emphasis what actually exist such as current conditions, practices, situations, or any phenomena. Since the present study or investigation was concerned with the level of difficulty between algebra and geometry to sophomore of Santa Rosa Science and Technology High School during school year 2012-2013, the descriptive method of research was the most appropriate method to use.
This research uses the random sampling in determining the number of respondents.
The researchers will assess the difficulty level of algebra and geometry of 56 sophomore students in Santa Rosa Science and Technology High School during school year 2012-2013.
Description of Respondents
The respondent were the sophomores students in Santa Rosa Science and Technology High School in school year 2012-2013 that includes six sections namely: Pasteur, Linnaeus, Mendel, Darwin, Watson and Hooke.
Distribution of Respondents
Number of Students
Number of Respondents
Table 1: This table shows that two of the six sections contain 10 respondents while the remaining four had only 9 respondents. All of the six sections have near range of respondents.
1. Questionnaire. This is a researcher-made questionnaire which is composed of 2 parts. Part I is the general information of the respondents that include the age and sex of the respondents. Part II is the questionnaire for the assessment of the level of difficulty between Algebra and Geometry to sophomore students of Santa Rosa Science and Technology High School during school year 2012-2013.
Data Gathering Procedure
Development of the instrument, after reading and studying samples of questionnaire from related studies, the researchers prepared their own questionnaire. The researchers also consulted some knowledgeable people about how to prepare one. The researchers saw to it that there were enough items to collect data to cover all aspects of the problem and to answer all the specific questions under the statement of the problem. Then the researchers submitted the questionnaire to their adviser, Dr. Socorro B. Escape for correction after which it was finalized.
The copies of the questionnaire were then distributed personally by the researcher by the researcher to the respondents. After few days, all the copies distributed were retrieved also personally by the researchers.
Statistical Treatment of the Data
The researcher will use the Weighted Mean, and the Relative Frequency. 1. Mean (x). This is to determine the average scores of some variables subject for study.
Where: x - the median
n – the number of respondents
2. Relative Frequency. This will be used in the presentation and analysis of data gathered for problems using the formula: % = f/n x 100
Where: f – frequency
n – total number of respondents
% - relative frequency
Please be informed that we are conducting a study on the level of difficulty between Algebra and Geometry to sophomores of Santa Rosa Science and Technology High School in school year 2012-2013. In this connection, we have constructed a questionnaire to gather adequate information to know the level of difficulty between Algebra and Geometry. In fact, our research teacher, Dr. Socorro B. Escape has encouraged us to conduct the survey and promised to help us get your cooperation. Your participation in the study by way of answering the questionnaire is very important. Without it, our study wouldn’t be successful as it should be. Kindly fill up the questionnaire and return it to us.
Please feel assured that your anonymity and the information you will give will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
Thank you very much for your very kind response to our request and if you are interested, we will supply you with the results of the study.
Very sincerely yours,
Miguel Luigi M. Vargas
Juan Miguel P. Valiente
Frances Marie B. Macatangay
The level of difficulty between Algebra and Geometry to sophomore students of Santa Rosa Science and Technology High School during school year 2012-2013 General Instruction: This questionnaire intends to show what is the difference of the level of difficulty of Algebra and the level of difficulty of Geometry to sophomores of StarSci. Part 1: Respondent’s Profile
Please fill the following blanks with the needed data.
Name (Optional): ___________________________ Gender: Female: Male Year and Section: ___________________________ Age: _________ Grades
1st and 2nd Quarter (only in Algebra and Geometry)
1st Quarter2nd Quarter
Algebra: __________Algebra: ___________
Geometry: __________ Geometry: ___________ Part II. Assessment of the Level of Difficulty between Algebra and Geometry to sophomores of Santa Rosa Science and Technology High School during the school year 2012-2013. Direction: Put check (/) in the column which corresponds to your answers. 5- Always
1. Our teachers teach Algebra well.
2. Our teachers teach Geometry well.
3. Geometry teachers have the same teaching methodologies.
4. Algebra teachers have the same teaching methodologies.
5. Algebra teachers give their own examples in teaching.
6. Geometry teachers give their own examples in teaching.
7. Algebra teachers provide visual aids in teaching.
8. Geometry teachers provide visual aids in teaching.
9. Algebra books have answers on exercises in it.
10. Geometry books have answers on exercises in it.
11. Algebra books have some damages or lost pages.
12. Geometry books have some damages or lost pages.
13. Algebra related topic can be easily found in the internet.
14. Geometry related topic can be easily found in the internet.
15. Some Algebra assignments are just copied from the internet.
16. Some Geometry assignments are just copied from the internet.
17. Algebra teachers graduated in major of Algebra.
18. Geometry teachers graduated in major of Geometry.
19. Algebra teachers know everything about the subject.
20. Geometry teachers know everything about the subject.