1) Which of the following was NOT a characteristic of American civilizations during the post classical period? 1) _______
A) Highly developed agriculture B) Monotheistic practices
C) Elaborate cultural systems D) Diverse civilizations
2) What was the relationship between the Toltecs and their predecessors in central Mexico? 2) _______
A) The Toltecs adopted the animistic religion of their predecessors, but failed to develop cities or ceremonial centers.
B) The Toltecs adopted many cultural features from their predecessors to which they added a strong military ethic and human sacrifice.
C) The entry of the Toltecs into central Mexico marks an abrupt break in the cultural development of the region.
D) The Toltec rejected all economic and social practices but did use similiar religious practices.
3) How did the Aztecs view the cultural achievements of the Toltecs? 3) _______
A) As slaves, fit only for conquest
B) As the givers of civilization
C) As heretics, who practiced a forbidden religion
D) As barbarians who lacked culture
4) The people who succeeded the Toltecs as the rulers of central Mexico were the 4) _______
5) Around what year did the Aztecs migrate to the central valley of Mexico? 5) _______
A) 1434 B) 1150 C) 932 D) E) 1325
6) What city did the Aztecs establish circa 1325 on a marshy island in Lake Texcoco? 6) _______
A) Teotihuacan B) Chinampa
C) Texcoco D) Tenochtitlan
7) What was the impact of expansion and conquest on the Aztec social system? 7) _______
A) Aztec society was transformed in the sense that the Mexicans adopted the social patterns of the Maya.
C) Despite the stress of warfare and invasion, the Aztec society remained remarkably unchanged by the process.
D) Conquest opened up Aztec society to