Acca Exam Question

Topics: Variable cost, Costs, Fixed cost Pages: 10 (2022 words) Published: June 26, 2013
ACCA 205 FINAL PRACTICE QUESTIONS

1.The expected sales for Uptown Clothing in the month of May are shown in the table below. Chelsea Rogers, the owner, gives credit to a select group of customers (20 percent of sales), but all others must pay cash. Of Chelsea's credit customers, 80 percent pay her the month after the sale and 20 percent pay the following month.

Chelsea pays cash for 10 percent of her purchases. The other 90 percent she pays off by the end of the next month. Chelsea's operating expenses are paid the month after incurrence. Her operating expenses are about $7,000 each month, $500 of which is depreciation. Selling expenses have a fixed and a variable component. The fixed is $1,500 a month, and the variable is 10 percent of sales. Chelsea began May with $9,000 in cash.

| Sales| Purchases|
March| $130,000| $120,000|
April| 140,000| 125,000|
May| 150,000| 130,000|

Prepare a cash budget to determine Uptown Clothing's ending cash balance for May.

ANS:

Uptown ClothingCash BudgetFor the Month of May|
Cash receipts:| | |
Sales from two months previous (0.2  0.2  $130,000)| $ 5,200| | Sales from previous month (0.2  0.8  $140,000)| 22,400| | Sales from current month (0.8  $150,000)| 120,000| | Total cash receipts| | $147,600|

| | |
Cash payments:| | |
Purchases from two months previous ($125,000  0.9) | $112,500| | Purchases from current month ($130,000  0.10) | 13,000| | Operating expenses | 6,500| |

Selling expenses | 1,500| |
Sales commissions (0.10  $150,000)| 15,000| |
Total cash payments| | 148,500|
Cash increase (decrease)| | $ ( 900)|
Beginning cash balance| | 9,000|
Ending cash balance| | $ 8,100|
| | |

2.Allan International is in the construction business. In 2010, it is expected that 30 percent of a month's sales will be received in cash, with the balance being received the following month. Of the purchases, 60 percent are paid the following month, 30 percent are paid in two months, and the remaining 10 percent are paid during the month of purchase.

The sales force receives $2,000 a month base pay plus a 4 percent commission. Labor expenses are expected to be $6,000 a month. Other operating expenses are expected to run about $5,000 a month, including $1,000 for depreciation.
The ending cash balance for 2009 was $28,000.

| Sales| Purchases|
2009—Actual| | |
November| $140,000| $ 80,000|
December| 160,000| 100,000|
| | |
2010—Budgeted| | |
January| $ 90,000| $ 90,000|
February| 80,000| 100,000|
March| 100,000| 80,000|

Prepare a cash budget and determine the projected ending cash balances for the first three months of 2010.

ANS:

Allan InternationalCash BudgetFor the Three Months Ended March 31, 2010| | January| February| March|
Cash receipts:| | | |
Sales from previous month (70%)| $112,000| $63,000| $56,000| Sales from current month (30%)| 27,000| 24,000| 30,000| Total cash receipts| $139,000| $87,000| $86,000|
| | | |
Cash payments:| | | |
Purchases from two months previous (30%)| $ 24,000| $ 30,000| $27,000| Purchases from previous month (60%)| 60,000| 54,000| 60,000| Purchases from current month (10%)| 9,000| 10,000| 8,000| Sales salaries| 2,000| 2,000| 2,000|

Sales commissions| 3,600| 3,200| 4,000|
Labor expenses| 6,000| 6,000| 6,000|
Operating expenses| 4,000| 4,000| 4,000| Total cash payments| $108,600| $109,200| $111,000|
Cash increase (decrease)| $ 30,400| ($22,200)| ($25,000)| Beginning cash balance| 28,000| 58,400| 36,200| Ending cash balance| $ 58,400| $ 36,200| $ 11,200|

3.Sol Del , Inc., was preparing the master budget for...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • exam Essay
  • Exam Questions Essay
  • Exam questions Essay
  • Exam Questions Essay
  • Essay on EXAM QUESTIONS
  • mba/503 final exam questions Essay
  • Exam Questions Essay
  • Acca Exam Paper Jun 2008

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free