PENTECOST UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
SOWUTUOM, ACCRA, GHANA
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING HEALTH AND COMPUTING
A WEB BASED DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
FINAL-YEAR PROJECT PROPOSAL SUBMITTED IN
PARTIAL FULFILLMENT FOR THE DEGREE OF
BSc. Information Technology
KUMI OTOPAH MICHAEL & KWADWO OPPONG
Mr. PAUL DANQUAH
Semester I, 2012
The aim of the project is to develop a document management system that is able to deliver access to anyone authorized anytime, anyplace on any device. The system developed makes use of rich internet technology to replace desktop application with rich internet application. The system shares the advantage of both web application and desktop application, and removes the most disadvantages of both.
The problems solved in this system include:
• Lack of support: No support for a document type simply means any access to the content of the document. • Complication of various software packages: Different document type use different software package which work in the way differ dramatically, which significantly reduce the usability. • Security: Virus and Spy ware hidden in the document. • Maintenance: The longer the lifetime of software, more bugs will be exposed. Update and configuration on each client can be an annoyance.
At the end of the project, a well built web based document management system will developed. The built-in document type supports will be Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, and PDF. This system permit user to manage document within the web browser and with no any support installed. In other words, the only requirements are an internet connection and a web browser (such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Opera etc).
Project Overview: This project causes an uprising of the manner in which people work with documents. Sooner than this uprising, people imagine working with document means working with word processor. Nevertheless, a lot of new web technologies make web dominant as much as necessary to imitate an operating system and even a word processor. People no longer need to work with a particular word processor. Using the future system, users can work with any document everywhere at any place at different time within the globe.
Mission Statement: The project aims to develop a system for any type of document but nothing particular. This system is new to document processing. The exceptionality is being web based and also for general-purpose. Being web based makes this system available everywhere through internet and will be accessible everywhere. Being general-purpose means system can be used for all type of documents and for most firms, organization and personal usage.
Why this project?
• To manage and access documents on the web, no software setting up on client • To break document type obstacle.
• To help automate and speed up the processes such as document change, distribution, notification and approval. In this way it reduces product time-to-market. • To help ensure document integrity.
• To make up gradation to the stored documents will be easy. As documents are stored in a server, an authorized person can easily makes required changes to the document. So it is easy to get the latest version of documents in just a second.
Programming tools to be used
The principle of the system is:
• Portability (develop once, run on all platform) • Open Source (to suit the nature of this project)
The future system is projected to revolute the way of document processing. It will bring benefits to the final user.
From the administrator’s viewpoint
➢ Maintenance cost reduced: In the proposed system, software will only be installed on the central server, and nothing needs to be installed on...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document