I. Title of novel
* A walk to remember
II. Author and related information
* Nicholas Charles Sparks (born December 31, 1965) is an internationally-bestselling American novelist and screenwriter. He has 16 published novels, with thematic ideas that include cancer, death and love. Six have been adapted to film, including Message in a Bottle, A Walk to Remember, The Notebook, Nights in Rodanthe, Dear John and The Last Song. Two more are in various stages of development. The Lucky One is expected to be released as a film in early 2012. "Safe Haven" is expected to begin filming in 2011.
III. Characters with description
* Landon Carter -The 57 year-old man who through flashback narrates the story of his seventeenth year, the year that changed his life.
* Jamie Sullivan -The seventeen year-old girl daughter of a Baptist minister who is dying of cancer, but who impacts on the lives of everyone around her.
* Hegbert Sullivan -The Baptist minister, the writer of The Christmas Angel, and Jamie’s father, he tries to discourage the young couple from being together and falling love, but in the end, even he cannot disrupt God’s Plan.
* Worth Carter -Landon’s father and the local congressman, he is seldom home and so, he and Landon haven’t much of a relationship.
* Landon’s mother -Although she is nameless, she has a great deal of influence on her son and is a source of strength when he needs it most.
* Eric Hunter -Landon’s best friend and the star of the football team, he is a natural joker and teaser and in the end, must come to grips with the way he had always treated Jamie.
* Miss Garber -The teacher who teaches the Drama Class and helps them stage The Christmas Angel.
* Carey and Eddie -The two boys whom Landon often mocks as being somehow less than he is.
* Jamie’s mother- Although she has died at Jamie’s birth, it is her Bible that has a lasting influence on both Jamie and Landon.
* Landon’s grandfather -A kind of robber baron who made the family fortune by stealing from the people of Beaufort, his evil actions made Hegbert quit working for him and created discord between Hegbert and his son Worth for a long time after. Jamie heals their rift.
* The story takes place in the real-life city of Beaufort, North Carolina, in 1958 and 1959.
* Fifty-seven-year-old Landon Carter narrates the novel, reflecting on events from 40 years in the past. The novel opens with a Prologue, in which the older Landon, living in the same North Carolina town as he did at the age of 17, stands near the Baptist church that figures prominently in the novel and gets himself in the mindset of his 17-year-old self. The story begins in 1958 and is, Landon tells us, both joyful and sad. Seventeen-year-old Landon is a senior at Beaufort High School, which collaborates each year with Southern Baptist Church on a Christmas play called The Christmas Angel. The play, written by Reverend Hegbert Sullivan, the minister of the church, tells the story of a man who is so grief-stricken over the death of his wife (while giving birth to their only child) that he is not much of a father to his child. An angel appears to the man, and she admonishes him to be a better father; she also performs a small miracle for the family on Christmas morning. The popular play, performed in the local playhouse, features seniors from the high school. Landon's father is a congressman who spends most of his life in Washington, D.C., and is a stranger to his son. Landon's grandfather, who is now deceased, was a bootlegger and banker during the Great Depression, and he built the Carter family fortune by preying on the poor. One of Grandfather Carter's employees was Reverend Sullivan, who still harbors resentments against the Carters. Like the narrative of The Christmas Angel, Reverend Sullivan's wife died during childbirth, and he has raised his daughter, Jamie, on his own....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document