Top-Rated Free Essay

A Good Friend

Good Essays
Good friend

Friendship is very important for our life. A good friend makes our life more abundant. I make a survey at RIS to consult their opinion about the good friend. But, what is the good friend?
The good friend is a gift for our life. Anaos Nin said: “Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world.” But, what is the good friend? 100% students said “yes” with question: “do you have a good friend?” It is normal. We can’t imagine our life without friends.
However, we usually choose friend with other cases. It is the result of the survey. 100% students think the good friend is a person to understand them, 100% are to care about their problems, 80% to travel with them and help them to solve their problems, 60% are the one they can share their secrets, 60% are the one will offer some useful advices sincerely if they do wrong, 40% are the one usually reciprocates study and future with them, and only 20% to know their wishes.
So the students will choose someone who is their friend with two important standards: to understand them and to care about their problems. They don’t mind their friend to know their wishes or to reciprocate study and future with them. No one thinks about their good friend as the one who trusts them.
On the other hand, we usually expect too much from their friend. Sometimes we are easy to overlook our duty as the good friend of someone.
80% students think they are the good friend and 20% are not sure. Therefore, the question is “what will you do if your close friend misjudges you?” 40% said “talk to them”, 40% “be quiet”, and 20% “tell teacher”. This is interesting results because 40% will talk to their friend when they don’t understand each other. I realize that if they usually talk together they will have more chances to know their wishes of friend, to understand their friend and to continue their friendship. 40% are quiet and 20% tell their teacher.
I am dogmatic that these 40% don’t understand clearly about friendship yet. But after this survey, I hope they had some standards of a good friend. So I predict they will do differently with their friend in the future.
I get confuse that there are only 40% for talking to their friend because if they talk a little with their friend, so how do their friend can understand them, or care about their problems and help them. 60% don’t want to talk to their friend if their friend misjudges them. I think that “trust” is the most important standard for friendship. Christopher P. Roberts-Griffin, writer of a research “What Is a Good Friend: A Qualitative Analysis of Desired Friendship Qualities”, wrote “For ages 15-30 […] trust was the most reported desired quality in a close
Friend...” (ref. http://repository.upenn.edu/mcnair_scholars/vol3/iss1/5, 7)

Close friend | Age | Gender | Nation | Trust | Trust | Trust | Honesty | Honesty | Communication | Supportive | Fun | Supportive Fun | Shared interest | Supportive | Honesty | Loyalty | Humor | Humor | Humor | Shared interest | Kindness | Kindness | Loyalty | Generosity | Acceptance | Communication | Fun | Communication | Kindness | Common interest | Fun | Acceptance | Acceptant | Openness | Respect | Loyalty | Intelligent | Openness | Understanding | Respect | Love | Presence | Understanding | Intelligent | Respect | Love | Empathy | Positivity | Presence | Understanding | Open Mindedness | Positive attitude | Presence | Comforting | Reciprocity | Share feelings | Reciprocity | Commitment | Positive attitude | Positive attitude | Adventurous | Reciprocity | Love | Comfort | Commitment | Intelligent | Outgoing | Integrity | Creative | Creative | Forgiveness | Adventurous | Generously | Compatibility | Intimacy | Intimacy | Sensitive | Dedication | Spontaneous | Familiarity | | Attractive | Attractiveness | | Genuineness | | |

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Satisfactory Essays

    Good Friends

    • 330 Words
    • 2 Pages

    humble and good hearted creature named Fenni Pennilli. It is a half monkey and half rooster. It lives in a high mountain called Mount Kumululuk. Although it lives at Mount Kumululuk but it always flying across the sea over the oceans and sometimes across the road over the bridge for businesses or personal visits. One day, Fenni Pennilli decided to pay a visit to her good friend, Baby Piggie, who resides at Pangkor Indi-Indi. On the way to Baby Piggie’s house, Fenni Pennilli met another friend who is…

    • 330 Words
    • 2 Pages
    Satisfactory Essays
  • Good Essays

    good friend

    • 932 Words
    • 2 Pages

    Everyone not only wants a good friend in their life, but they need one too. Friendships often face a great number of conflicts that may weaken you, or it may do the opposite, make your relationship stronger. A good friend may also be known as a true friend or a best friend that will always be there for you. Having a good friend will keep you going in life, and make you have a brighter smile on days when you are gloomy. They also help you out when you need them the most, and this will help you accomplish…

    • 932 Words
    • 2 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Good Essays

    Good Friends

    • 588 Words
    • 3 Pages

    Good Friends Friends often thought of as a companionship between people. Good friends are the people one can count on to be there through the good and the bad times that occur in life. Good friends are often loyal, trustworthy, and are always on your side, whether it is right or wrong. My so-called friends are all liars, backstabbers, and always seem to leave me out of things. For some reason these people consider themselves as good friends. My friends lie about everything. They lie so much they…

    • 588 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Satisfactory Essays

    Good friends

    • 687 Words
    • 3 Pages

    (classified) English 043 11/2/2013 There are many things that people believe make a person a good friend. Of all the things that are good qualities for a friend to have, there are three that easily stand out above the rest. A good friend is someone who has integrity, is loving and kind, and reliable. One of the most important things that good friend has is integrity. In other words, a good friend is honest with you even when it means that it may hurt you to hear the truth. One example of this…

    • 687 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Satisfactory Essays
  • Good Essays

    Good Friend

    • 724 Words
    • 3 Pages

    Michaels A Good Friend Do you have that one friend that you can tell all your secrets to and it’s like you were made to be good friends? Being a good friend means that you are not only thinking about yourself but you are thinking about your friendship also. There are many characteristics of being a good friend but in my paper I will only discuss a few. The three characteristics of being a good friend that I am going to discuss in my paper will be 1.) Being loyal to your friend, 2.) You…

    • 724 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Good Essays

    Good Friends

    • 819 Words
    • 4 Pages

    there is none to feel for him in weal and woe. So making good friends is essential. It is a relationship which is based on the union of same minded persons. It is a friendship that sometimes springs from the mental esteem and from our long attachment. A real friend is better than wealth. It is a great blessing in a man’s life. But it’s very difficult to find a good and real friend. We have many friend but only a few of them can be called good once who stands by us in our well and woe. Boyhood and youth…

    • 819 Words
    • 4 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Good Essays

    Good Friend

    • 698 Words
    • 3 Pages

    Why good friends are so important A lot of research has been done looking into the benefits of friendship, and the research has found exactly what you might expect. It turns out that the better quality relationships you have; the more likely you are to be happy. Therefore it’s good for your happiness to be a great friend to someone and to have a group of good friends supporting you. But it can be hard to pinpoint exactly what makes a good friend. Signs of a good friend Friends will come and…

    • 698 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Satisfactory Essays

    Good friend

    • 429 Words
    • 2 Pages

    HOLIDAY- HOMEWORK (2013-14) CLASS X ENGLISH READING BBC Module 1- Worksheet 1,2,3,4. Module 2- Worksheet 15, 16,17,18,19. Module 3- Worksheet 29,30,31,32. WRITING Module 1- Worksheet 5,6,7,12,13. Module 2- Worksheet 20,21,22,23,24,27. Module 3- Worksheet 34,37,41. LITERATURE Module 5 - Worksheet 59,61,65,66,68,69 (Page 151),73 Write the drama ‘The Dear Departed’ in narrative form in notebook. GRAMMAR Module 4- Worksheet 43,44,45,46,50,52,57,58. SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY…

    • 429 Words
    • 2 Pages
    Satisfactory Essays
  • Good Essays

    There are different ways to tell the difference between a real friend and a fake friend. Some qualities in a good friend are they are trust worthy, they listen to your thoughts, concerns and issues, and you can tell them stuff without them judging you. If someone doesn’t always use these traits it doesn’t make them a “bad friend”, people make mistakes and as people ourselves we should forgive and forget because one of these days were going to mess up too, it happens to all of us, when we mess up…

    • 282 Words
    • 2 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Good Essays

    Friends……In the dictionary a friend means one attached to another by affection; a favor; one who is propitious; a favorite. To woman friends are different types of people and relationships. In the essay Friends, Good Friends and such Good Friends the author Judith Viorst describe a couple of the many different types of friendship women have. We as women form a type of bond with other woman very different than men do with other men. Viorst tells us that at one point she would have said a friend…

    • 729 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Good Essays