Good evening ladies and gentlemen,
Who here is yogi? Why not? It has great health benefits.
Let me introduce the health benefits of yoga!
But first, what is yoga?
The word “yoga” in Sanskrit means “union” or ”to join together”. Yoga is a combination of physical (poses and breathing) and mental (focus) practice. Yoga origins are still not known but said somewhere between India and Nepal Because of language.
Yoga has many great health benefits.
1. Blood circulation: many poses improve circulation in hands and feet. 2. Flexibility: yoga increases flexibility and stress on joints. 3. Strength: many yoga poses build core strength which improves the overall strength of the body. Warrior poses strengthen lower body. 4. Better posture: all poses of yoga require the correct form and movement of the body…. Posture example: Sun Salutations. 5. Balance: yoga requires the balance of the body and also the balance between breathing and movement. 6. Weight loss: most yoga poses are intense and involve more than one muscle group at the same time which makes the body burn calories.
I practiced yoga daily for a while. It improved my strength, posture, sleep, and I lost some body fat. ( my blood oxygen was very high).
In addition to my personal experience, I did some research and I learned that
Yoga practice popularity increased from 9,000,000 in 1980 to 21,000,000 in
All those benefits contribute to a better overall health of a person. Statistics
show the increase of yoga practice in the United States over the period
between 1980 and 2011 which shows that yoga gained popularity because of
the health benefits it offers.
In closing, I hope you learned something about the health benefits of yoga.
1. Yoga Mind and Body, Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre 2008
2. Prevention Yoga Life, editors of Prevention and Yoga life Magazines 2010 3. Yoga Anatomy, Human Kinetics 2007
4. Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga, Rolf Gates and Katrina Kenison 2010 5. Yoga for Fitness and Wellness, Ravi Dykema 2011
6. The Key Poses of Yoga, Ray Long and Chris Macivor 2009
7. 27 Things to Know About Yoga, Victoria Klein 2010
8. http://aprilstolf.com/ for yoga statistics.
9. The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice, Desikachar 1999 10. An Introduction to Yoga, Annie Wood Besant 2011