1. Which of the following would be an appropriate way to add variety to your sentences? A. Use questions and answers together. B. Add personal anecdotes.
C. Use more close-up words.
D. Make your sentences read like a spoken conversation.
2. Nelson's hobby is tinkering with small appliances.
Tinkering with implies that Nelson is unskilled at his hobby. You want to change the flavor of this sentence to show that Nelson is, in fact, quite skilled at his hobby. Which of the following should you choose to replace tinkering with so that the reader gets the right idea? A. Selling
B. Fiddling with C. Repairing
D. Messing with
3. Anna is an exceptional young girl. _______ Anna does any job that needs to be done. To vary the sentence structure, which one of the following sentences should you insert in the blank? A. Anna is a hardworking and versatile person. B. Anna works hard every day of her life.
C. Anna is always working hard at home.
D. Have you noticed how hard she works?
4. Which of the following direct quotations is punctuated properly? A. "Way to go, Sean," the coach shouted. "That was a great run!" B. "Way to go, Sean," the coach shouted. "That was a great run"! C. "Way to go, Sean", the coach shouted. "That was a great run"! D. "Way to go, Sean", the coach shouted. "That was a great run!" 5. When we speak of the flavor of a word, we're talking about the extra understood meanings that it carries in addition to its main meaning. These extra meanings are called ￼￼￼￼A. denotations.
C. connotations. D. definitions.
6. A thesaurus is a book that's useful for finding A. synonyms. B. definitions.
C. frequently misspelled words.
D. famous persons.
7. Which is the best strategy to follow when you write a report or an essay? A. Get it right the first time and put it aside until it's due. B. Revise it over and over for at least three or four years. C. Work on it over a seven-day period and rewrite it at least twice. D. Write it in one sitting...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document