Writing Process Part One
1. a. What sentence is the topic sentence of the paragraph?
A trip to the ocean can be a relaxing escape from the everyday pressures of life b. What sentence is unrelated to the topic and can be eliminated?
You should always be careful to avoid overexposure to the sun at the beach.
2. List four things to look for when you’re proofreading. punctuation, spelling, grammar, and sentence flow
3. Complete the following two steps: a. Define the term cliché. a phrase or opinion that is overused and betrays a lack of original thought. b. Use a cliché in a sentence that you create.
This day at work keeps getting worse, but every cloud has its silver lining.
4. Name and explain two types of prewriting.
Brainstorming: jotting down thoughts and ideas about a topic before writing.
Idea web: creating lists or webs of related words and ideas in order to organize your thoughts before writing
5. Choose one of the prompts listed below. Write a five-sentence paragraph using chronological order to explain the steps that you would take to complete the task you select. Describe the steps you would take to:
c. get ready for work.
Get Up nice and early, take a quick morning shower if needed. Get fully dressed, especially if you are going to work. Eat a good breakfast. Brush Your Teeth After You Eat Breakfast and brush Your Hair. Gather everything you need together and head out the door to work.
6. Choose one of the following topics. Write an eight-sentence paragraph that fully develops the topic.
d. A high school diploma is important to my future. Obtaining a high school diploma is important to me and my future. It may not be the easiest thing to do but I am going to work really hard at it. A high school diploma will allow me to get into a college or University to study. This will provide me with a career which will help me become prosperous and well respected in the community. Someone my friends and family will be proud of. I will then be able to tell people that everything started by getting my diploma. I will tell them it was hard but very rewarding work. A high school diploma is the gateway to a bright future.