1. Type the sentences that answer the following questions.
a. What sentence is the topic sentence of the paragraph? A trip to the ocean can be a relaxing escape from the everyday pressures of life.
b. What sentence is unrelated to the topic and can be eliminated? You should always be careful to avoid overexposure to the sun at the beach.
2. List four things to look for when you’re proof reading. Typos, Spelling, Grammar, and Consistency.
3. Complete the two following steps:
a. Define the term cliché’. A cliché’ is a phrase or opinion that is overused and betrays a lack of original thought.
b. Write one sentence that contains a cliché’. He’s so fat, he sat around the house.
4. Name and explain two types of prewriting. Free writing- you write any and every idea that comes to mind when prewriting. Researching- another name for prewriting, you get info from outside sources.
5. Choose one of the topics listed below and write a five-sentence paragraph using chronological order to arrange the details of the paragraph.
a. Signing onto my homepage is simple.
b. Writing a paper takes patience and time.
c. Let me explain how to make my favorite sandwich. First thing I do to make my favorite sandwich is get my condiments out and in the line of order that I use them in. Second, I lay my bread out and get a butter knife and coat it with mayonnaise. Third, I put my ham and turkey on my mayonnaise bread. Fourth, I put mustard and any extra condiments I want on my sandwich. Fifth, I clean up my mess and my condiments.
6. Choose one of the following topics. Write an eight sentence paragraph that fully develops the topic.
a. Following instructions is very important.
b. Job training programs (such as job corps) are valuable to both employers and potential employees.
c. Advances in technology are making people less social.
d. A high school diploma is important to my future.
e. College is not for everyone.
f. Drunk driving can be