World Tourism Organization
What is World Tourism Organization?
* is the leading international organization in the field of travel and tourism * is a specialized agency of the United Nations
* also known as United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO)
Where is UNWTO located?
* Madrid, Spain
* 1934- International Union of Official Tourist Publicity Organizations (IUOTPO) * World War II- International Union of Official Travel Organization (IUOTO) * 1960- IUOTO realized the need for further transformation and enhance its role on an international level
“The IUOTO realized the need for further transformation to enhance its role on an international level. The 20th IUOTO general assembly in Tokyo, 1967, declared the need for the creation of an intergovernmental body with the necessary abilities to function on an international level in cooperation with other international agencies, in particular the United Nations. Throughout the existence of the IUOTO, close ties had been established between the organization and the United Nations (UN) and initial suggestions had the IUOTO becoming part of the UN. However, following the circulation of a draft convention, consensus held that any resultant intergovernmental organization should be closely linked to the UN but preserve its "complete administrative and financial autonomy". It was on the recommendations of the UN that the formation of the new intergovernmental tourism organization was based.
* 1970- IUOTO voted in favor for forming WTO
* World Tourism Day September 27, 1970
* 1974- On November 1, WTO came into operation
* 1976- The agreement is signed for WTO to become an executing agency of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), carrying out technical co-operation with Governments. * 1980- The World Tourism Conference held in Manila (Philippines) adopts the Manila Declaration on World Tourism * Philippines became a member state of...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document