Pio reflective journal (due date 26th april)
1. What topic did I relate to? Or, which topic did I learn the most from? Why? Can I think of a particular situation where this topic applies? Describe the event, circumstances or situation and clearly and explicitly state the topic to which it relates. (8 marks) 100 words
2. Explain the topic as a concept
Explain the theories associated with that concept
Explain your new insight into the topic. (16marks) 200words
3. Use your situation to make connections with the theory 4. Use this insight from the theory to explain your event further, consider your learning, feelings and thoughts and mention these. Make comment clearly connecting to event to the concept n theories. 5. What is my opinion about what I observed or experienced and how does this relate to the chosen topic? Why? (24 marks) 300 words
6. What are your recommendations? Be realistic.
7. In what ways might this learning experience serve you in the future? 8. What are your recommendations to yourself? Be realistic (32 marks) 400 words
In today’s business environment workforce diversity is very important because of the necessity of compliance with anti-discrimination laws, increasingly multicultural world and a recognition that different perspectives are important. In simple words workforce diversity means people working in an organization is not homogeneous. Because of personal and organizational related characteristics like age, race, gender, sexuality, nationality, ethnicity, mental and physical ability, educational levels, religion, values and beliefs, position in organization, tenure, work experience etc. there is diversity found in a workplace.
When I was in school I was taught of unity in diversity with a story that registered in my mind and after that I started believing in it. Coming from a country possessing multicultural environment and being studied in hostel I have always got opportunity to be with people from different background. This continues till now and even in my future it will be. Today all the organizations invite people to work with from different spheres of life carrying different experiences and cultures. Diversity is very important for one to learn in life. The reason I chose this topic is because I have been bought up and believes in this concept. Its not that you don’t face problems because of dis-similarities with your mates, you do, but that makes you learn how to adjust and survive, which is required utmost in this present scenario.
All multinational companies follow multicultural workforce structure and allow people with the best talent to work without considering their caste, religion and nationality.
Workforce diversity is being encouraged to attain inclusive and harmonious working environment. It has become a need that prepares business for a global world. Diversity can lead to innovation, creativity and rethinking your business model. It is a concept that can help entrepreneurs to achieve great returns for their firms. Some believes that people of different ethnicities can offer certain things to their organization. However, diversity is not on their list. According to them people feel more comfortable working with people that resembles themselves. Over last few years, its has commence as a competitive necessity.
Challenges faced by a diverse workplace are Prejudice and Discrimination on the basis of recruitment, wages and promotions.
Benefits of workplace diversity include increased adaptability, broader service range, variety of viewpoints and more effective execution.
At individual level by:
* Letting go their stereotype
* Develop a sensitivity to difference
* Develop your own diversity awareness programs
At Organizational level:
* Diversity program stating clear objectives and standards * Design a plan to recruit men and women of different...
References: Diversity: An Introduction to theories of Diversity by Clayton Reeves
Please join StudyMode to read the full document