Wind Energy

Topics: Wind power, Fossil fuel, Renewable energy Pages: 2 (619 words) Published: December 3, 2012
Renewable Energy
There is definitely a need for renewable energy because we currently use mostly fossil fuels to produce our electric. Currently about 90% of electricity comes from fossil fuel power plants, coal, nuclear, and natural gas which leaves 10% of power coming from other sources ("Were Our Energy Comes From", 2012). Fossil fuels create air pollution that contains greenhouse gases which cause a variety of environmental issues. Wind farms are a group of wind turbines that are all connected to a grid. Wind turbines work by wind blowing across the blades creating lift and drag similar to an airplane. The lift propels the blade around spinning a connecting rod that spins a generator creating an electrical charge that sent out to costumers or stored in batteries for later use. There are many advantages of wind energy including, Wind energy is a green energy source, wind energy does not pollute the environment like fossil fuels, coal, natural gas and nuclear energy does. Generating electricity with wind energy does not involve any emissions of greenhouse gases. Wind energy is a renewable source of energy. Wind is naturally occurring and there is no way we can empty the resources, this is not the case for fossil fuels, which we heavily rely on today. Although some places are better suited, harnessing wind energy can be done almost everywhere. About the only restriction is if it can be made financially viable, the utility company can make a profit, offshore wind turbines expand exploitable resources even further. The price of wind energy continues to drop, and with advances in technology and equipment continue to push the price down. Additionally People can generate their own electricity with wind power in much the same manner as people do with solar panels. Some companies specialize in residential installations and there are also several DIY wind power kits on the market (Maehlum 2012). There are several disadvantages of wind energy as well wind energy is...

References: How do Wind Turbines work. (2012). Retrieved from
Maehlum, M. (2012). Wind energy pros and cons. Retrieved from
Were our energy comes from. (2012). Retrieved from
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Renewable and Non-Renewable Energy Essay
  • Renewable Energy Essay
  • Energy Essay
  • Solar Energy and Wind Energy Essay
  • Wind Energy Essay
  • Wind Energy Essay
  • wind energy and yaw system Essay
  • Solar-Energy Storage Jar Applied in Sand Maker Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free