Biology 2401 Quiz Fundamentals of the Nervous System Ch 11
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1) What is the role of acetylcholinesterase?
A) amplify or enhance the effect of ACh
B) destroy ACh a brief period after its release by the axon endings
C) act as a transmitting agent
D) stimulate the production of serotonin
2) The term central nervous system refers to the ________.
A) brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves
B) spinal cord and spinal nerves
C) autonomic nervous system
D) brain and spinal cord
3) Collections of nerve cell bodies outside the central nervous system are called ________.
4) Which of the following is not a function of the autonomic nervous system?
A) innervation of smooth muscle of the digestive tract
B) innervation of skeletal muscle
C) innervation of glands
D) innervation of cardiac muscle
5) Which of the choices below describes the ANS?
A) motor fibers that conduct nerve impulses from the CNS to skeletal muscles
B) sensory neurons that convey information from somatic receptors in the head, body wall, and limbs and from receptors from the special senses of vision, hearing, taste, and smell to the
C) motor fibers that conduct nerve impulses from the CNS to smooth muscle, cardiac muscle, and glands
D) sensory and motor neurons that supply the digestive tract
6) An impulse from one nerve cell is communicated to another nerve cell via the ________.
B) cell body
7) A neuron that has as its primary function the job of connecting other neurons is called a(n)
A) association neuron
B) afferent neuron
C) efferent neuron
D) glial cell
8) Which ion channel opens in response to a change in membrane potential and participates in the generation and conduction of