• botswanna is a poverty stricken rural village
• golema mimidi is a fictional village
• GM is a self sufficient village
• Golema mmidi acquired its name from the occupation that the villagers followed which was crop growing. Golema mmidi is a utopia for refugees where they come together as an equal and contribute towards the same goal of satisfying agricultural needs. Golema mmidi is a place of salvation for those looking for comfort and freedom.
1. Rigid customs
2. Corrupt local chief – Matenge
3. Unrelenting climate
1. apartheid: laws and policy of south Africa
- makhayas frame of mind and source of some of his inner struggles
- black people had no rights to vote. People were poorly educated and often imprisoned and beaten
- bessie head explains that not all white man in south Africa are evil a good example of her conveying it is when dinorego states “I take gilbert as my own son which fact surprises me since he is a white man and we Botswana do not know any white people”
-“to gilbert, it was the first real hand clap he had experienced and the loneliness in which he found himself in tribal Africa” this shows that as a white man living in Botswana surrounded by tribal people who do not often come across a white man, they do not easily accept gilbert due to his skin color.
- Gilbert as a white man also face difficulties in accomplishing his goal to uplift the poor because black man has been treated by dogs by the white man, therefore when gilbert tries to help they find difficulties to accept his help because he is white.
2. violence and oppression – race
- “in this world there are both evil and good men. Both have to do justice to do their cause. In this country there is a great tolerance of evil. All meet death in the end, and because of death we make allowance of evil though we do not like it” – dinorego explains that evil and good are a