What is most valued in modern day society?

Topics: Apple Inc., Cigarette, Tobacco smoking Pages: 1 (472 words) Published: October 20, 2014

Lauren Pietropolo
Cloud; Period 3
What is Valued More in Modern American Society?
6 September 2014
What does an American civilian think is more important; being their own person or fitting in with everyone else? It seems as if the modern day American residents want to fit into a criteria that “everybody else is doing it” you can tell based on the products they purchase, or the actions they take. We can tell americans care about conformity more than being their own person because of the present day products. 47% percent of teenagers already have an Iphone while 62% percent of teenagers say they are going to purchase an Apple Iphone for their next phone. 51% said they already owned an apple product such as an ipod, ipad, or mac. (appleinsider.com) If 47% of teens own an Iphone that only leaves 53% to the other smartphones. More people have an Iphone than any other smartphone. This is a perfect example of conformity in America, everyone wants the latest and greatest. Products do not stop at electronics, brand name clothing and accesories. Many of these products are just as well made as other non-brand name products but because of the label on the merchandise not only does the demand go up, but so does the price because there is knowledge that the brand name will bring in more customers. Products are not the only thing that proves that modern day Americans care more about conformity more than being an individual based on their actions. People in this country will change almost anything about themselves to “fit in” from their hair, their make up, their clothing to what they put into their bodies. Tobacco usage, for instance. Young people are more likely to smoke tobacco if their peers smoke or if they see tobacco usage as a social normality. “Each day in the United States, more than 3,200 people younger than 18 years of age smoke their first cigarette, and an estimated 2,100 youth and young adults who have been occasional smokers become daily cigarette...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Myths and Reality in a Modern Day Society Essay
  • Drug Abuse in Modern Day Society Essay
  • What Is the Role of Morality in Modern Society? Essay
  • Human rafficking a modern day slaveryT Essay
  • Vices of Modern Society Essay
  • Modern Society Essay
  • Modern Society Essay
  • The trend of marriage in the modern society Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free