Civil War : 18611865
Relevant Presidents of the time:
James Buchanan (18571861)
Abraham Lincoln (18611865)
Slavery is the underlying issue. we are arguing that the civil war was caused by the people’s attempt to end slavery (abolition) and the manipulation of the public stance on the issue in the election of Abraham Lincoln.
The American civil war was not caused by one isolated instance, but rather the combination of slavery, cultural divide within the states, and other important events.
agree with book
failure to compromise
1. Underground Railroad
2. Missouri Compromise
3. Louisiana Purchase
4. Dred Scott Decision
5. western expansion
1. The Dred Scott Decision
2. Harriet Beecher Stowe and Uncle Tom’s Cabin
3. John brown rebellion/ raid on harpers ferry
The Election of Abraham Lincoln
What was the Dred Scott Decision?
● Dred Scott was a black slave who sought his freedom in the American legal system ● The 1857 decision by the United States Supreme Court in the Dred Scott case denied his plea, determining that no Negro, the term then used to describe anyone with African blood, was or could ever be a citizen.
● This decision invalidated Missouri Compromise
● Rallying point; aided Lincoln in his election
What was the significance of Uncle Tom’s Cabin?
● Readers became acutely aware of the horrors of slavery ● furthered abolitionist cause north of Mason Dixon line “Encouraged by her sisterinlaw, Stowe decided to pen a novel. First published as a series in 1851, it first appeared as a book the following year. The heartwrenching tale portrays slave families forced to cope with separation by masters through sale. Uncle Tom mourns for the family he was forced to leave. In one heroic scene, Eliza makes a daring dash across the ...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document