Water Conservation

Topics: Water, Water resources, Water crisis Pages: 5 (2266 words) Published: August 20, 2010
Water Use and Conservation Report
This report will firstly present and express the importance of water before going about expounding the various ways in which water is being used. It will go on to demonstrate the lack of accessibility alongside the vulnerability of the resource and explaining how it would lead to water shortage on the basis of factors affecting the globe currently. Moreover, an elaboration will be made on the different water conservation techniques made by organisations along with the government of Singapore and Australia further exploring the outcome of the measures and policies implemented by them before we conclude with our thoughts on water usage and conservation. Introduction

Water is one of the most critical resources on Earth, fundamental to every ecosystem helping to sustain all life as well as to maintain the overall environmental balance on the Earth. It is also required for human development and to driving the economy. From the individual’s personal cleanliness to rehydration or to demands by agriculture for irrigation of crops which is the artificial means of watering or for industries to be able to carry out cleaning processes, for recreational purposes like supplying water in swimming pools, water is evidently needed to perform those tasks (n.a., 2005). With practically all industries requiring it and clearly no substitute to replace water, it is inevitable that one must be able to conserve it for the future. Two thirds of the surface of the Earth covered with water, so you might be thinking why is it a problem. It is because most human uses require fresh water with about 97.5% of the water on the Earth, salt water it leaves only 2.5% to be fresh water. Furthermore, two thirds of it is made up of ice frozen in glaciers and polar ice caps. The remaining majority is groundwater with a very small fraction present above ground or in the air. Furthermore, availability is questionable due to a small volume of fresh water ponds or lakes, sensitivity to rainfall causing fluctuations to the amount of water supplied and varied by seasons and climate. For hot equatorial climates, there will be an ability get more water while dry season reduces it. Even though it is so scarce, fresh water is still renewable at the moment but supply is decreasing due to climate change and demand is increasing with the increase in population. This causes inadequate supply being unable to meet with exceeding demand in certain areas over others and this will cause an imbalance of water distribution. (Badr et al, 2008) With the lack of fresh water resource, it is important that we are able to manage it properly to prevent water shortage particularly in the poorer countries. According to www.saintlazarefoundation.org, “the world’s population is expected to rise from 6 billion in 2000 to 8 billion in 2025 and the average amount of fresh water available per person per year will therefore drop from 6,600 to 4,800 cubic metres, a fall of almost a third.” Therefore, many countries have initiated water conservation. We will first discuss the different water usages before we elaborate on the rest explained above. Body

Water is practically needed all the time. As an individual, we use it for our need to rehydrate our body, for cleaning like mopping the floor, washing the clothes, taking a shower, cooking etc. In the agriculture sector, it is crucial for irrigating crops as in many countries it is the dominant source of water use. In the industrial sector, water is often used to purify or sanitize elements required in that particular industry. Commercially, it can also be used for beautification purposes like fountains at shopping malls and for functionality such as taps for washing of food at restaurants. Recreationally, it is used for water sporting activities and most importantly used by the environment for plants and animals to survive be it in parks, ponds and mountains. According to a UN report from...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Water Conservation Essay
  • Water Conservation Essay
  • Water Conservation Research Paper
  • Water Conservation Essay
  • Conserve Water Research Paper
  • Water Conservation Essay
  • Water Conservation Essay
  • Essay on water scarcity

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free