Strategic Planning Individual Assignment
Table of Contents
“Wal-Mart takes on the world” Case overview 4
1. International expansion as a critical part of Wal-Mart’s strategy 5
2. Success in Canada and Latin America and why not Europe? 5
3. How could the company ensure success in China and India? 6
4. Transferring Wal-Mart’s business practices and culture internationally 6
5. Can American success leverage International success? 6
6. Early missteps when Wal-Mart began expanding internationally 7
Wal-Mart is a brand that is well known around the world, especially in the USA. It has gradually developed into the largest retailer in the world. Wal-Mart’s globalization efforts have been happening rapidly. But have they been successful in all aspects of their international expansion or not? This is the main thought that is going to be discussed in this essay. The questions I will be looking at are based on a case called “Wal-Mart takes on the world” from the book of International Business The Challenge of Global Competition eleventh edition – Ball, McCulloch, Geringer, Minor, and McNett. Questions are the following:
1. Why has Wal-Mart viewed international expansion as a critical part of its strategy?
2. What did Wal-Mart do to enable the company to achieve success in Canada and Latin America? Why did Wal-Mart fail to achieve similar success in Europe?
3. What should Wal-Mart do - or not do – to help ensure that the company achieves success in China and India?
4. How will Wal-Mart’s business practices and culture transfer internationally?
5. Can the company leverage its success in the American market to ensure success in the international marketplace?
6. Finally I will discuss some of the early missteps Wal-Mart experienced when the company began expanding internationally.
Before answering these questions I will explain a little bit about Wal-Mart and what the case