NAVOTAS NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL
INTERVENTION ACTIVITY WORKSHEET IN GRADE 8 SCIENCE WEEK 3 (June 17, 2014)
Newton’s Law of Motion
Name:________________________________________ Grade/section________________ Score:____________
I. NEWTON’S FIRST LAW OF MOTION
1. Newton’s first law of motion is also known as the LAW OF ______________________________________.
2. Newton’s first law says that
a. an object that IS NOT MOVING, or is at ___________________________, will stay at ___________________, AND b. an object that IS MOVING will keep moving with constant __________________________, which means at the same _____________________ and in the same ________________________, UNLESS c. an ______________________________ force acts on that object.
3. What is inertia?
4. What property of an object determines how much inertia it has?
5. Which of the following has more inertia?
a. Bowling ballor Tennis ball
b. Hammer or Feather
II. NEWTON’S SECOND LAW OF MOTION
6. Newton’s second law of motion is also known as the LAW OF ______________________________________.
7. Newton’s second law says that when an __________________ force is applied to a ________________, it causes it to ____________________________.
8. The greater the force that is applied, the ____________________ the acceleration. 9. The lesser the force that is applied, the _____________________ the acceleration.
10. If the same force is applied to an object with a large mass, it will have a _______________________ acceleration. 11. If the same force is applied to an object with a small mass, it will have a _______________________ acceleration.
12. The equation that is used to solve second law problems is F = ma. a. What do each of the variables mean?
F = ______________________ m = _________________________ a = __________________________ b. What unit of measurement must be used with each variable? F = ______________________ m = _________________________ a = __________________________
III. NEWTON’S THIRD LAW OF MOTION
13. Newton’s third law of motion is also known as the LAW OF _______________________________________________. 14. Newton’s third law says that every time there is an ______________________________ force, there is also a _______________________ force that is ______________________ in size and acts in the ____________________________ direction. 15. Newton’s third law states that forces must ALWAYS occur in ___________________________. 16. Listed below are ACTION forces. Tell the REACTION force. a. Your bottom pushing on your desk seat
b. A bat hitting a baseball
c. Your finger pressing on your phone screen while texting