Unit one: Principles of personal responsibilities and working in a business environment
Section 1 – Know the employment rights and responsibilities of the employee and employer
1. Identify four main points that would be included in a contract of employment. If possible, use an example contract to support your answer (feel free to obscure any confidential information).
Date of commencement of Employment
Work place address
2a) List three key points of legislation that affect employers in a business environment.
Health and Safety
Pay and Pensions
2b) List three key points of legislation that affect employees in a business environment. Employment rights and responsibilities
Pay and Pension
3. Identify a range of places where a person can find information on employment rights and responsibilities. You should identify at least two internal and two external sources of information.
Trade Union Representative
Citizen Advice Bureau
4. Describe how representative bodies can support employees.
Trade Union representative:
Discussing any concerns that employee may have in regard to his/her employer Health and Safety at work
Non-trade Union representative they have the right to be paid time to everything that Union representatives do apart from: Union Learning
5. Briefly describe employer and employee responsibilities for equality and diversity in a business environment. You should give at least two employer responsibilities and two employee responsibilities. Employer:
Develop policies and procedures to address equality and diversity issues. Ensure that line managers appreciate diversities and promote fair treatment. To treat everybody fairly.
Be willing to learn about people who are different or new.
Be polite and patient and treat everybody with respect.
Recognise that some different opinions will exist as everybody has got different opinions.
6. Briefly explain the benefits of making sure equality and diversity procedures are followed in a business environment. Your answer should include one benefit for the employer, one benefit for the employee and one benefit for the overall organisation.
Decrease the incidence of harassment and bullying
Improved job satisfaction
Help to maintain motivation of the workplace leading to increase quality of product
Section 2 – Understand the purpose of health, safety and security procedures in a business environment
1. Identify employer and employee responsibilities for health, safety and security.
If possible, provide relevant health, safety and security policies / documents from your workplace (or place of study) to support your answer. These documents should be annotated to highlight the relevant sections.
Make sure that all the materials are handled stored and used safely. Display health and safety law posters
Ensure safe working environment
Prevent risk to health
Installing a CCTV in appropriate locations
Reviewing risk assessments and safety policies regularly
Provide training information
To take reasonable care of your own health and safety
To take reasonable care to avoid harm to yourself and to others
2. Explain the purpose of following health, safety and security procedures in a business environment.
The purpose is to protect the workforce from accidents and illness caused by work and also to protect the company from costs associated with accidents and illness. It also enhances the overall management of the business by improved management control of the business activities.
3. Describe three...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document