“Sociology offers a perspective, a view of the world. The sociological perspective opens a window onto unfamiliar worlds—and offers a fresh look at familiar ones (Henslin3).” With socialization being such a huge part of our daily lives, it is important that we get the right socialization. Today much of our youth’s socialization skills are being obtained from mass media sources, and in particular social networking and television. A single glance at a children’s television show gives you only a slight glimpse of the violence portrayed in today’s children TV shows. As Americans we are exposed to violence …show more content…
The “cool” factor of these shows is actually kids becoming more and more desensitized to violence. Although these shows have not been proven to turn a normal child into a deviant. “Hundreds of studies of the effects of TV violence on children and teenagers have found that children may become "immune" or numb to the horror of violence. They may gradually accept violence as a way to solve problems, or imitate the violence they observe on television; and identify with certain characters, victims and/or victimizers …show more content…
Rather then associating violence as a negative thing, kids start to associate it as a solution to most problems. Until we begin to address this problem as a country it will continue to socialize kids in an unhealthy manner thus leading to negative actions and/or consequences.
Work Cited page:
1) Children And TV Violence." Children And TV Violence. AACAP, March 2011. Web. 01 Oct. 2013.
2) "Desensitizing the Mind to Violence - Dave Grossman, Author." Desensitizing the Mind to Violence - Dave Grossman, Author. Killology, n.d. Web. 01 Oct. 2013.
3) Gonzalez-Mena, J. "The Media as an Influence on Socialization." Education.com. Pearson Allyn Bacon Prentice Hall, 20 July 2010. Web. 01 Oct. 2013.
4) Henslin, James M. Sociology: A Down-to-earth Approach. Boston: Pearson, 2012. Print.
5) Lowell, Peter. "Violence, The Media, And Symbolic Interactionism." Web log post. Backyard Sociology. N.p., 2 Sept. 2011. Web. 1 Oct. 2013.
6) SparkNotes Editors. “SparkNote on Deviance.” SparkNotes.com. SparkNotes LLC. 2006. Web. 1 Oct.