Civil War Project
1. You must choose a topic for a project from the list below. You will work individually on this project. This is an oral presentation that must be 5-7 minutes.
2. Project presentations will take place on the week of May 28
3. This is an oral presentation. This is worth a test grade.
4. Pre-presentation work requirements:
Notes on graphic organizer/bibliography due: March 18th
Notes cards used during your presentation[due after presentation]
5. Media Center research days: ____________________ We have use of books [on reserve] and computers.
6. You must have at LEAST 4 sources. At least 1 must be a book.
1. Write out the arguments for and against secession and present it to the class. You must present both sides of the argument.
2. Do analysis of the Civil War presenting the advantages and disadvantages of both sides as well as why the war lasted so long and ended the northern victory. The information could be displayed in a graph and chart format on poster board.
3. Create a map of the Civil War showing 10 famous battle sites, states involved, marches by various armies, etc. on poster board.
4. Create a poster depicting some aspect of life during the Civil War.
5. Write a diary pretending you are a soldier in either the North or the South, and tell of your daily activities, adventures, and tragedies. You should include at least 10 different aspects of Civil War life.
6. Write a report on events which might have appeared in a newspaper, describing one of the following events:
John Brown’s Raid
Dred Scott Case
Assassination of Lincoln
Surrender at Appomattox
Impeachment of Andrew Johnson
7. Prepare a program about the music of the Civil War period and play an instrument.
8. Draw or find pictures of the uniforms of Civil War soldiers. Display them on poster board. You must teach about the variety of uniforms from both sides.
9. Construct a specific battlefield and describe how this battle was fought, the generals, the importance of geography, the victors, and the special importance of this battle.
Bull Run(First Manassas)
10. Build a model of a southern plantation. Teach about the role of all people living on the plantation.
11. Explain the 13th-14th-15th Amendments and their impact on Americans in the 1860s and on the people of today.
12. Construct a model of or a travel poster of one of the following cities during the Civil War:
13. Do a radio broadcast or ‘breaking news program’ of a battle that took place during the Civil War times.
14. Research military guns and equipment. Draw or collect pictures and write a brief description of each. Teach about the variety of the many new inventions of weaponry during the Civil War.
15. Research two political cartoons showing various situations and events of the time. Teach about political cartoons.
16. Write out the arguments for and against slavery and present it to the class, presenting both sides of the issue.
17. Research the time period of Reconstruction and report to the class on its major events and their impact on history.
18. Important people to use for your presentation. Tell about their role in the Civil War:
Robert E. Lee
John Wilkes Booth
Harriet B. Stowe
Gen. George McClellan
Ulysses S. Grant
Gen. William Sherman
Confederate States of America
Gen. George Pickett
Gen. James Longstreet
19. Topics to use for your presentation. Teach about this topic:
Please join StudyMode to read the full document