Tips on Tackling Essay Questions
1. First, circle the question words such as Describe, Explain, Discuss, Compare and Contrast, Give examples, Evaluate etc.
2. Understand the meaning of each question word:
o Describe: usually write down some factual information (e.g. temperature of TRF, annual rainfall of tropical deserts)
o Explain: to make known in detail - facts are most important
o Account for: state the reason for
o Discuss: Describe and explain, write about the various opinions and ideas about the subject
o Compare: Write down both the similarities and the differences.
o Contrast: Write down the differences.
o Examine: divide into parts and analyze each part or investigate each part
o Assess: estimate the value of ……
o Give examples: Be careful with the words example and example(s) and which examples (e.g. more developed countries or less developed countries?)
o Evaluate: Not only mention the solutions to the problem but also write down the effectiveness of the solutions.
o Evaluate the validity of a statement: this is a warning to the student that the statement may, or may not, be accurate or complete
3. Introduction and Conclusion: It will give the marker a better impression if you can write a short introduction and a conclusion.
4. Write neatly and in a systematic way
5. Leave spacing between paragraphs
6. Draw diagrams to illustrate the text where necessary e.g. Plate Tectonics, ELR, SALR, DALR, soil profile etc.
Impact of urbanization and industrialization on farming
Explain the drop in number of farm labors in developed countries. What are the possible socio-economic impacts of depopulation on rural communities in Hong Kong?
• Well organized to talk about the reasons
• Can include more examples in Hong Kong such as Mui Wo and...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document