Background of the Study
This section gives background information on the study by discussing any or all of the following in textual paragraph form:
A. The general area in Computer Science or Information Technology where the study may be classified. Examples are the following: 1. For Payroll, Accounts Receivable/Payable, Inventory, Reservation, Library, etc.
Systems, the general area which may be discussed is Information Systems. 2. For Expert Systems, CAIs, ICAIs, ITSs, etc., the general area is Artificial Intelligence.
3. For Editor Softwares, Utility Softwares, Compilers, etc., the general area is Software Technology.
4. For Multimedia Systems, Geographical Information Systems, Hypertext, etc., these are the actual general areas.
B. The current state of technology on the general area leading to the current state of technology in the specific area.
C. The specific company/corporation/institution on which the study is being conducted. A brief history, organization, some statistics (e.g. number of employees, locations/branches, etc.) products and/or services, etc.
D. A general and brief description of the system under study.
Statement of the Problem
The problem of the study. This is identified by answering the question: What is being solved by this research or thesis project.
The statement of the problem is a clear, definite, and logical statement of the major problem(s) and the sub-problem(s) if any.
How to write the problem.
• State the problem of the study fully and precisely in enumerated form • State the problem in complete grammatical sentence, punctuation is important. Provide justification to support the statement.
Systems Development – Payroll System
How to design, develop and implement a computerized payroll system for XYZ Company?
Specifically, the study aims to answer the following problems: 1. How to develop and integrate an automated time keeping system that will monitor employees’ log-in/out?
2. How to create a module that will automatically compute for the employees’ salary?
3. How to design a security module that will decrease the risk of data loss?
Significance of the Study
- A discussion on who benefits from the output of the research or thesis project. - Discusses the contributions/benefits of the study to: 1. Individuals
4. World or humanity in general
- Enumerates the problems that may be solved by the output of the study.
The resources allocated for the proposed research (human, financial and material) should be justified in terms of the expected utility/significance of the results for the following concerns:
Nationhood and Development
• Will the research produce new technology?
• Does research address current social, economic, political and cultural problems?
• Will innovations in natural, infra and human rescue management result from the study?
Scientific or Artistic Domain
• Will the research contribute new information?
• Are data gaps to be filled?
• Is a new point of view to be applied to a previously studied phenomenon? University Thrust
• Will it contribute to expansion of knowledge?
• Will it develop strong scientific base for national mastery? • Will it develop strategies to address present socio-economic?
• Will it benefit specific users?
• How will it benefit these users?
Scope and Limitation
- Discusses the boundaries of the system to be developed. - Enumerates items that will not be covered by the study. - Gives a general view of the features/characteristics of the output of the system. -...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document