1. Ammonium nitrate, NH4NO3, dissolves readily in water according to the equation:
NH4NO3(s) NH4+(aq) + NO3-(aq) H = 28kJ mol-1
Which of the following contribute(s) to the occurrence of this process?
I. The system moves to lower enthalpy.
II. The system becomes more disordered.
a. I only
b. II only
c. Both I and II
d. Neither I nor II
2. Which substance has the largest lattice energy?
a. NaF b. KCl c. MgO d. CaS
3. A certain reaction is spontaneous below 100oC but is non-spontaneous at higher temperatures. Based on this information, what are the signs of H and S?
a. - -
b. - +
c. + +
d. + -
4. Which ionisation requires the most energy?
a. Na(g) Na+(g) + e-
b. Na+(g) Na2+(g) + e-
c. Mg(g) Mg+(g) + e-
d. Mg+(g) Mg2+(g) + e-
5. The bond enthalpies in kJ mol-1 for several bonds are given below:
H – H 436 O – O 196 O = O 496 H – O 463
What is the enthalpy change, H, in kJ for the reaction below?
2 H2(g) + O2(g) 2 H2O(g)
c. - 484
d. - 834
6. At 0oC, the mixture formed when the following reaction reaches equilibrium consists mostly of N2O4(g)
2 NO2(g) N2O4(g)
What are the signs G, H, S at this temperature?
G H S
a. + + +
b. - - -
c. - + +
d. + + -
7. Excess thionyl chloride, SOCl2, can be removed from a reaction mixture by reacting it with water according to the equation:
SOCl2(l) + H2O(l) 2 HCl(g) + SO2(g)
Use the following data to calculate the Ho for this reaction.
SOCl2(l) H2O(l) HCl(g) SO2(g) Hof (kJ mol-1) -245.6 -285.8 -92.3 -296.8
8. 200 J of energy were given to a 10 g sample of copper. If the temperature of the copper is increased by 50oC, what is the specific heat capacity of the copper?
a. 0.25 J g-1 oC-1
b. 0.40 J g-1 oC-1
c. 2.5 J g-1 oC-1
d. 4.0 J g-1 oC-1
9. Which of the changes below occurs with the