1. The story begins with Joseph attending a funeral. What feelings and emotions is he experiencing?At the funeral joseph has a ache of regret and loss burning inside of his the words “it’s my fault” ached in his heart.to try and inure the heart breaking place joseph tries to picture himself in a another place but the sounds of the cleaning of a throat bring him back to reality.
2. As Joseph tries to work out the chain of events that has brought him there, he finds himself thinking of silkworms. Why? (p. 3)As joseph tries to work out the chain of events that brought him there he finds him thinking of silkworms because trying to untangle the tangled threads of the past like unwinding the silk from a silkworm cocoon, joseph has been searching for the one shalterable thread that would lead him further
3. When he recalls the recent past, Joseph sees the faces of three men. Who are they and what feature of each man’s face is highlighted? (p. 3) when joseph recalls the recent past, he sees the face of three men, the men are his farmer, tom leyton and the running man. he sees his farthers face as bewildered, hurt and angry then joseph sees toms face, its silent and hidden deep in the shadows of his room. last of all he sees the running man, his eyes burning with a desperate fire.
4. The chapter ends with an image of Joseph’s neighbours’ house. What simile is used to describe it? What effect does it create? (p. 4)an image of josephs neighbours house is created as the chapter ends, the house is described as being perched high on its black timer like some long legged creature waiting in the shadows the smile makes the reader curious about the house secrets.
1. What are the attitudes of Mrs Mossop, Laura Davidson and Joseph towards Tom Leyton?mrs mossop’s Laura davidson’s andnjosephs attitudes towards tom leyton aren’t positive, he is voloutary as a tantalising riddle for the whole neighbourhood. tom is dangerous