Unit 1 Lesson 4 Worksheet
The Trout by Sean OFaolain
PART A - Reader’s Journal (5 marks)
What stories did you believe in when you were a child – perhaps stories about the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus? What did the adult members of your family say to you when you asked to know the truth? Write in your journal about the stories you were told when you were a child, explaining the reality that you later learned was behind each story. Like every other kid I was told if I put my tooth under my pillow the tooth fairy would come put money under my pillow and take my tooth. So one night I put my tooth I just lost and pretended to sleep so I could see the fairy but I found out it was my dad because I caught him trying to put money under my pillow.
PART B - Literary Terms
Review the following literary terms.
? Direct characterization
PART C - Reviewing the Selection (20 marks)
Answer the following questions using complete and descriptive sentences. Be sure to use the question in the answer. Do not feel compelled to stick to the spacing limitations below.
1. What is one of the first places Julia runs to when visiting G------?
One of the first places Julia runs to is the Dark Walk.
2. How is The Dark Walk described?
The Dark Walk was described as a laurel walk, very old, almost gone wild, a lofty midnight tunnel of smooth, sinewy branches.
3. What does Julia find in the water of the little cavern?
Julia finds a panting trout in the water of the little cavern.
4. Explain what Julia does with the trout she captures in the ewer.
She raced with the ewer out to the other end of the tunnel and down the steep paths to the rivers edge and poured out the trout into the river.
5. When Julia races through The Dark Walk, what contradictory feelings are aroused in her? She was feeling that is was just a made up story and there was no well but she still went anyways, having that feeling