The Effects of Divorce on Children; Specifically Focusing on Age and Gender

Topics: Female, Male, Mother Pages: 3 (1234 words) Published: June 12, 2006
The Effects of Divorce on Children; specifically focusing on age and gender When one is looking at divorce and its affects, many different approaches can be taken, and many different ideas can be thought of. Within the secondary research, focus is kept on the affects of divorce, which type is worse, methods of coping and a small focus on gender. The primary research focuses mainly on what role gender plays in a child's adaptation of their parent's divorce, gender of the child, gender of most exposure, and gender of primary care-giving parent. There were two separate hypothesis' that were being proved during the entire research process; one for the secondary research and one for primary. The first hypothesis, for the secondary research was the prediction of age, and how the younger the child is, the greater the affects would be, as they are less likely to be really understand what is going. It was predicted that the more involvement both parents have with the child the better off everyone involved will be. A more gender focus and precise hypothesis was researched for the primary research; a child of divorce will grow apart from their opposite-sex parent, thus grow to resent the opposite sex entirely.

Wayne Parker came up with four rules for divorcing parents to follow, to help their children deal; 1. Both parents must be involved. 2. Divorcing parents must respect one another. 3. Keep a routine and finally 4. Get help when needed. It is believed that the first point is the most important, the involvement and support of the parents are crucial. Through surveys, it was established that no participant felt as through they did not get enough support at home; 13% of males were unsure, but no one thought they were did not get enough support. 74% of males thought that they were getting lots of support and home, while only 47% of females said the same (the remaining 53% said they were getting some). It is apparent that females take the issue of divorce...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • The Effects of Divorce on Children Essay
  • Effects of Divorce on Children and Adolescents Essay
  • Essay on The Effects of Divorce on Children
  • Effects of Divorce on Children Essay
  • Divorce and the Effects on Children Essay
  • Phycological Effects of Divorce on Children. Essay
  • The Effects of Divorce on Children Essay
  • Essay on The Effects of Divorce on Children

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free