1. Briefly describe the four management functions.
* Planing : A management function that involves defining goals, eatablishing a strategy for achieving those goals, and developing plans to integrate and coordinate activities. * Organizing : A management function that involves determing what tasks are to be done, who is to de them, how the tasks are to be grouped, who reports to whom, and where decisions are to be made. * Leading : A management function that involves motivating subordinates, dircting the work of individuals or teams, selecting the most dffective communication channels, and resolving emplyee behaviour issues. * Controlling : A management function that involves monitoring actual performance, comparing actual performance to a standard, and taking corrective action when necessary.
2. Briefly list and describe the skills required by managers.
* Conceptual skills: The mental ability to analyze and generate ideas about abstract and complex situations. * Human skills: The ability to work well with other people both individually and in a group. * Technical skills : Knowledge of and expertise in a specialized fied.
3. Compare and contrast the two views of management control.
* Omnipotent view of management: The view that managers are dirctly responsible for an organization’s success or failure. * Symbolic view of management: The view that managers have only a limted effect on substantive organizational outcomes because of the large number of factors outside their control. * Their difference: * Omnipotent view of management only responsible for the result of success or failure, * Symbolic view of management as long as responsible for the variables in the process of control but not responsible for the results.
4. Outline the Strategic Management Process. BRIEFLY explain each step.
1. Identifying the Organization's Current