Vladimir I: Ruler of kievan Russia that convert them to christianity Steppe: plain grassy and mostly treeless. Fertile soil great for agriculture Justinian Code of Law: basis of byzantine law
Veche: town meetings to discuss war, emergency or important matters Rurik: leader that rule kiev
Slavs: people who later converted to slaves
Heresy: is an opinion that conflicts with official church beliefs 1. What was the Byzantine Empire?
It was a continuation of the Roman empire, it was led by the emperor Justinian using the justinian code.
2. Explain the Justinian Code?
It was a collection of laws of the roman empire used in the byzantine empire 3. Why Justinian moved the capital to Constantinople? Mention the advantages and disadvantages.
Because it was better. advantages is the trade and disadvantages is that they could be conquered
4. What kind of government did the Byzantine Empire have?
Strong centralized government.
5. What was the result of the Iconoclastic controversy?
The separation of the church. The east and the west
6. What led to the decline of the Byzantine Empire?
Justinian's death, wars and conflicts with outside powers, Ottoman turks conquered Constantinople.
7. What effects did the political and legal ideas in Justinian´s Code have on Byzantine and other societies?
It covered such areas as crime, marriage, property and slavery. Basis of English Roman law, major legal system in the world 8. What are some cultural highlights of the Byzantine Empire? In art they had mosaics- a picture or design made from small pieces of enamel, glass, or stone. In architecture they build a a great church called Hagia Sophia. 9. How did society in Kievan Russia changed under Mongol rule? Heavy taxes. But mongols built important roads and improved methods of taxation and communication.
10. In what ways did Russian Orthodox Church gain from Moscow´s growing power?
grew more powerful by acquiring land
11. How did the lifestyle of the desert Arabs differ from the lifestyle of the Arabs who lived along the coasts?
12. How did Kievan Russian´s government and religion differ from the Byzantine Empire? Kievan Russia| Byzantine Empire|
Gov: led by princess governed by a council or noblesboyars| Gov: governed by leaders such as Justinian| Pravda Russkia: Russia’s first law code combined elements of tribal custom and older law traditions| Justinian code: collection that formed the basis of byzantine law| First they worshiped the spirits and nature after Vladimir force everyone to convert to Christianity | Iconoclastic controversy, church splits, byzantine felt icons were wrong| When church splits followed eastern orthodox church | When church splits followed eastern orthodox church|
13. Why did the Kiev declined?
Because kievan rulers gave the outlaying towns to their sons to rule independently.
14. What major group took control over Kiev?
15. Explain the history of the three IVANS (Ivan I, III and IV) that ruled Moscow. Ivan I: he cooperated with the mongols, he increased the city's power when he moved the orthodox church to moscow. Ivan III: no longer aknowledge the mongols, became the first ruler of the independent state of russia. Ivan IV: took the title of the czar, he opened the vast territory of siberia to russia settlement. 16. What might have happened to Kievan Russia if the Mongols had not invaded? They would not have succeeded as they did. They would not have being able to built important roads, and leaders such as Ivan III may not reveal against the Mongols and conquering many territory.