2. Well Postal means of communication wasthe only mean communication until theyear 1850. In 1850 experimental electric TELECOM INDUSTRYtelegraph started for first time in Indiabetween Calcutta (Kolkata) and DiamondIN INDIAHarbor (southern suburbs of Kolkata, onthe banks of the Hooghly River).In 1851, it was opened for the use of theBritish East India Company. Subsequentlyconstruction of telegraph started throughout India. A separate department wasopened to the public in 1854. Dr.WilliamO’Shaughnessy, who pioneered thetelegraph and telephone in India.
3. ESTABLISHMENT 1851 First operational landlines were laid by government near Calcutta 1881 Telephone services introduced into India. 1883 Merger with postal system. 1923 Indian radio telegraph company formed. 1932 Merger of ETC and IRT Indian radio and cable communication company
4. CONT.. 1947 Nationalization of foreign telecom companies to form posts, telephone & telegraph. 1985 Department of telecommunication established. 1986 Conversion of DOT into two wholly state owned companies VSNL for international telecommunications & MTNL for service & metropolitan areas. 1994 National telecom policy created with a motto
5. CONT.. 1995 Entry of GSM in india triggering telecom revolution. BPL mobile services launched. 1997 Telecom regulatory authority of india formed in January. 1999 NTP-99. national telecom policy with reformed goals set. 2000
6. CONT.. 2005 ILD & NLD annual license fees reduced from 15% to 6%. 2008 3G guidelines issued, spectrum allocation through auction, foreign players allowed to bid. 2009 TRAI announces rules & regulations to be followed for mobile number portability.
7. MAJOR PLAYERS OF TELECOMINDUSTRY & YEAR OF ESTABLISHMENT1) Bharti airtel-19852) BSNL-20003) Vodafone