DANIEL INSTITUTE, MIOTSO, GHANA
MA in Christian Ministry
TH 501: SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY II
2nd Trimester: 16th June-6 October 2013
Lecturer: Rev. Dr. Kwasi Boateng, BA (Bib Stud), MA (Min), MTh (Hons), D.Min Contact: You may contact the lecturer on: 0544 712 408; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lesson #1 Biblical Anthropology
The origin of humanity
The image of God in humanity
The purpose, potential and destiny l
The constitutional nature of humanity
The universality of Humanity
Man as male and female
Gen.1-12; Job 12:10; 14:1-6; Psalm 139:1-24; Acts 17:24-28; (Num.16:22; 27:16); 1 Cor.11:8-9; Isa.42:5; Zech.12:1; Heb.12:9-10; Eph.3:14-15
Charles C. Ryrie. Basic Theology: Chapters 22-32
Kevin J. Conner, The Foundations of Christian Doctrine, Chapter 8 P.G Hiebert. Cultural Anthropology, (2nd ed), pages 20-41.
Paul Enns, The Moody Handbook of Theology, Chapter 23
Erickson, Christian Theology
Defining Systematic Theology:
Presentation of the entire biblical teaching on specific truths, or doctrines, one at a time. Grudem (1995,21): “Any study that answers the question, ‘What does the Bible teach us today?’ about any given topic.”
1. WHAT IS BIBLICAL ANTHROPOLOGY
The Study of Man in relation to scripture
Derived from Gk word anthropos -man; logos meaning “word” or “discourse”
1.1 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE DOCTRINE OF ANTHROPOLOGY
a) The doctrine is important because of its relationship with other major doctrines:
b) The doctrine is important for our understanding of “What is the human?”
c) The doctrine will affect how we minister
1.2 THE ORIGIN OF MAN (HUMANITY)
The word translated ‘man’, in most versions of the Bible: * A generic term for the entire human race,
* An inclusive form referring to the human species, men and women. * A comprehensive word, covering both male and female
* Bible distinguishes between men and women in certain specific gender terms * Gender sensitivity uses:”humanity,” “human beings,” “ humankind,” or “persons.” * The Hebrew word for Adam is “man”
* God did not choose to call the human race “woman” but “man”. Does it have any significance in male female relationship? Will discuss below . How did man originate? Varieties of views
A. Atheistic Evolution :
Theorizes the origin of matter and life apart from God. Several billion years ago chemicals in the sea, acted on by sunlight and cosmic energy, formed themselves by chance into one or more single-celled organisms, which have since developed through beneficial mutations and natural selection into all living plants, animals, and people (Ryrie, 199:195) Principles of Evolution
1) Planets and the earth resulted from a big bang explosion of compressed, rotating protons and neutrons. This continues to expand away from the original nucleus at fantastic speed (Ryrie,198) 2) Lamarck (1809), a French naturalist,. All vegetables, animals and man developed from certain original simple germ on earth (Hodge vol ii, 11). Lamarck admitted God having created matter with its properties does nothing more. Darwin built on Lamarck’s theory in his Origin of Species. . 3) All other living organisms have developed from that first and subsequent simpler forms of life, 4) Mutations constitute the explanation for evolution: Mutations are sudden, small changes in the DNA code of genes, which are passed on to the offspring, causing them to differ from their parents 5) Natural selection is the system that preserves the changes caused by mutations.
ARGUMENT of Evolution
Based on supposition; survival of the fittest; cannot account for the arrival of the first, the origin of matter and life PROBLEM OF EVOLUTION
1. Mutations are rare and always harmful. Only one in one million fruit fly will develop a mutation. 2. No mutations have produced new species or even new organ or system in an existing species PROBLEM WITH...
References: Presentation of the entire biblical teaching on specific truths, or doctrines, one at a time. Grudem (1995,21): “Any study that answers the question, ‘What does the Bible teach us today?’ about any given topic.”
2) Lamarck (1809), a French naturalist,. All vegetables, animals and man developed from certain original simple germ on earth (Hodge vol ii, 11).
Please join StudyMode to read the full document