Marketing Plan Sony Ericsson Mobile Communication
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Current Marketing Situation
2.1 Market Summary
2.3 Product Offering
2.4 SWOT Analysis
2.5 Critical Issues
3. Market Strategy
3.2 Marketing Objectives
3.3 Financial Objectives
3.4 Target Market
3.6 Marketing Mix
4.1 Sales Forecast
4.2 Expense Forecast
5.2 Contingency Plan
1. Executive Summary
In the following report, we are presenting the marketing strategy of Sony Ericsson Mobile Communication.
Sony Ericsson, a limited liability joint venture between Sony Corporation and Telefonakiebolaget LM Ericsson, established in 2001 (Sony Ericsson 2010) and headquarter in London, United Kingdom. It is a global well-known top mobile phones manufacturer and has been in the industry for the past 10 years, offering a wide range of products and their main market emphasizes on mobile phones. It identify its targeted market through different segmentation such as demographic, psychographic and behavioral of its consumers and thus it manufactured series of mobile phones with unique designs and technology features that provide quality camera, music player, web application and entertainment functions (Global Data 2011).
Research draws attention to the fact that although Sony Ericsson is the leader in mobile manufacturing, it faces strong competition from rivals like Apple, Nokia and Samsung. Further investigation reveals that with the limitation of their technology Sony Ericsson has lost significant market shares and revenues.
In the past years, Sony Ericsson has been targeting segment ranges from young adults to white collars and fulfills their needs with their featured phones. As the smartphones demands increases and the demographic users changes, Sony Ericsson has decided the white collar consumers and those with active lifestyle to be their main focus market. Xperia Ray and Xperia Active; shall be the latest technology smartphones that will satisfy the expectation of its targeted users.
The objectives of Xperia Active and Xperia Ray:
* Brand new image for Sony Ericsson’s smartphones.
* The up-market product where strongly accepted among consumers’ social groups conversational hot topic. * Sold directly through local telecommunication companies, retalilers and Sony Ericsson website. * Create awareness via various channel; such as advertising, events and etc.
2. Current Situations
2.1 Market Summary
Sony Ericsson’s mobile phones have been targeting market ranging from young adults to white collars. In this wide range of target markets, Sony Ericsson has produced mobile phones with features that meet the needs of recreational purposes to business phones for a consumer. Sony Ericsson has identified its target markets by using different market segmentation such as demographic, psychographic and behavioral to get closer to their consumer.
Demographic – Occupation
Users such as managers, directors and sales personnel of a company who requires to check their business emails even when they are on the move. Users in these positions have a certain percentage of spending power thus they have the ability to spend on higher ends mobile phones.
Sony Ericsson focuses on consumers who are experiencers. They seek for new varieties, experience and stylish products that allow them to have a wider social group (Walters 2011). Apart from experiencers, Sony Ericsson also targeted achievers who are successful in their career and have the ability to spend to display their latest smartphones to their social group.
Sony Ericsson is targeting at users who wish to receive specific quality software feature that...
References: 9. MelvilleHouseBooks. 2010. Competition among Cell Phone Manufacturers – Mobile Phone Market Analysis. (Assessed 3 July 2011) http://melvillehousebooks.com/competition-among-cell-phone-manufacturers-mobile-phone-market-analysis/
11. Ovum 's Adam Leach. 2009. Smartphones: the Silver Lining of the Declining Handset Market. (Assessed 30 Jul 2011)
12. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP (PwC). (2011). Market analysis. (Accessed 2 July 2011)
13. Sony Corporation. 2011. Sony Ericsson reports first quarter 2011 results. (Accessed 2 July 2011)
14. Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications. 2010. Company Facts – The Basic. (Assessed 15 May 2011)
15. Sony Ericsson Mobile Communication. 2010. Life is full of greener choices. (Assessed 17 May 2011)
16. Sony Ericsson Mobile Communication. 2011. Mission – Welcome to Sony Ericsson Mobile Communication. (Assessed 4 July 2011) http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/companyandpress/aboutus/mission?cc=gb&lc=en
1. Fildes,N. 2009. Sales of Sony Ericsson’s Satio suspended. Times Online. 23 November. (Assessed 20 May 2011) http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article6928737.ece
1. Kotler,P and Armstrong,G. 2008. Principles of Marketing. 12 editions. Pearson Education Ltd. United States of America
1. Akamai Technologies Inc. 2006. Case Study on Sony Ericsson – Sony Ericson and Akamai Launch A New Age In Mobile Communications. (Assessed 14 May 2011)
1. Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications. 2009. Sony Ericsson reports results for fourth quarter and full year 2008. (Assessed 15 May 2011)
2. Stensgaard,A.B. 2006. Press Release. Sony Ericsson celebrates first five years with strong market position and stunning product portfolio. (Assessed 15 May 2011) http://www.ameinfo.com/98189.html
Journal via Database:
1. Arghire,I. 2009. Sony Ericsson Details Marketing Plans. (Assessed 17 May 2011)
2. Christopher,T. 2011. In China, Nokia is believed to be the market leader and Apple iPhone is the most wanted Smartphone. (Assessed 17 May 2011)
3. Diego,S. 2011. Devices Aren’t Dead: 36 Percent of Smartphone Owners State That Apps Don’t Satisfy Their Needs. (Assessed 30 June 2011)
4. Foged,J. 2010. What do mobile users want in the year of the smartphone?. (Assessed 1 July 2011)
5. Global Data. 2011. Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB – Strategic SWOT Analysis Review. (Assessed 14 May 2011)
6. Hanlon,M. 2006. Sony Ericsson introduces first Cyber-shot Camera phones. (Assessed 15 May 2011)
7. Halon,M. 2005. Sony Ericsson W800 – the first phone raises the bar for mobile entertainment. (Assessed 15 May 2011)
8. Jared. 2011. The Android Smartphone Scene in Singapore. ( Assessed 1 July 2011)
9. Johnson,S. 2009. Second Sony Ericsson phone has software problem. (Assessed 20 May 2011)
10. Lagorce.A. 2008. Sony Ericsson gains market share; profit slips. (Assessed 20 May 2011)
11. Reisinger,D. 2011. Gartner: Android Market Share to near 50 percent. (Assessed 14 May 2011)
12. Shukla,G. 2011. Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray gets priced and dated in UK. (Assessed 2 July 2011)
13. Walters,R. 2011. Sony-Ericsson launches XPERIA Branded Ray and Active. (Assessed 30 June 2011)
Please join StudyMode to read the full document