top-rated free essay

Summers Day vs Parched Earth

By aMonk3y Aug 23, 2013 552 Words
Kyle Nishimura
April 21, 2013
IB English
Period 1
In the poems Summer Day, by Sarah A.Kettler, and Parched Earth, by Sally Hinton, both poets are able to convey their purpose through their use of diction. While the purpose of Kettler’s poem seems to be to essentially describe a summers day and illuminate in it’s laziness, Hinton’s purpose is to evaluate the state of Earth’s ecosystem. Like how each person writes a certain way, both Kettler and Hinton use their own distinct diction in their poems to achieve and convey their purpose.

In the poem Summer Day, by Sarah A. Kettler, she seems to be essentially describing a summer’s day. She uses many descriptive words, such as softly, dance, model, and more, to illuminate the feeling of freshness and a sort of beginning. One might describe her use of diction as joyful, relaxed, bright, and jubilant. Through these words, she seems to try and just get across how a summer day might feel and how swiftly it might pass by. Although the words may portray freshness, there is a feeling of laziness as well, which also complements the idea of summer. “While the grass reaches up towards the sky, The water hums a sweet lullaby”. The use of lullaby really illuminates laziness. Because a lullaby is one thing you might listen to or sing to a small child if you’re trying to put them to sleep. Since it is during the day in which “the water hums a sweet lullaby”, then it portrays the idea of a lazy summer’s day. In the poem, they also bring across the feeling of how quickly a summer day can pass. “The moon suddenly awakens to say hello, and all to soon, goodbye, And the day comes to life once again”. This quote shows how quickly the night may pass during the summer through just saying “hello, and all too soon, goodbye”.

While Kettler’s diction in Summer Day appears sunny, bright, and jubilant, Sally Hilton’s Parched Earth projects a diction that might be dark, ominous, and almost brooding to some. Hilton seems to almost write a silent warning to any who might get the meaning across. The poem elaborates on how fresh things used to be before the cities, and the waste, and how mankind essentially murders the soil on which they live. She illuminates and projects how rotten things are through the use of words like selfishness, engulfed, scum, suffocating, parched, and mainly extinction, in comparison to Kettler’s use of phrases and words like softly, dance, and gently. “Today we drown in the selfishness of our ancestors. Every day more cities engulfed by the rising waters.” By the selfishness of our ancestors, I think Hinton was trying to bring across the history of our ancestors mad grab for land and power, showing our need to clear as much land as we can just to make a quick buck. So by selfishness, it may just mean how greed has been passed down from generation to generation. Hinton ends her poem with a simple question, “Why didn’t they listen?” So by using “they”, this poem might not even be meant for us, but for future generation to look upon this as a document illuminating why the world is in the state it might be in.

Cite This Document

Related Documents

  • Earth Day

    ...Earth Day Some people who talk about the environment talk about it as though it involved only a question of clean air and clean water. The environment involves the whole broad spectrum of man's relationship to all other living creatures, including other human beings. It involves the environment in its broadest and deepest sense. It involves t...

    Read More
  • The Earth Day

    ...About 70% of the earths surface is covered by water, but only 3% of all water is fresh; the other 97% is ocean water (salty) About 70% of the earths surface is covered by water, but only 3% of all water is fresh; the other 97% is ocean water (salty) WHY IS WATER IMPORTANT? * Water is healthy * The planet is 75 % water * 75 %...

    Read More
  • EARTH DAY

    ...Earth Day is an annual event, celebrated on April 22, on which day events worldwide are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection. It was first celebrated in 1970, and is now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network and celebrated in more than 192 countries each year. In 1969 at a UNESCO Conference in San Francisco,...

    Read More
  • earth day

    ... Earth Day Our earth is a pleasant place, where everything is found, everything that we love, and everything that we please, including our own understanding. Earth day is not only about us, as human beings occupying the world around us. It is about our planet, our universe, and our mother earth. Earth day was first celebrated in 1970, 43 ye...

    Read More
  • Earth Day

    ...1 EARTH DAY SKIT: “How Earth Day Began” This skit can be performed at an Earth Day assembly for an entire school or a single class Scene 1: At Home________________________________________________ A student returns home from school. While eating dinner, she discusses her day with her parents. The end of April is approaching and her scho...

    Read More
  • Earth Day

    ...Earth Day Founded in 1970 as a day of education about environmental issues, Earth Day is now a globally celebrated holiday that is sometimes extended into Earth Week, a full seven days of events focused on green awareness. The brainchild of Senator Gaylord Nelson and inspired by the antiwar protests of the late 1960s, Earth Day was original...

    Read More
  • The History Of Earth Day

    ...Samantha Meyer BIOL 303 Environmental paper Earth Day is celebrated every year in more than 180 nations worldwide. Earth Day was originally founded by two different people and on two different dates. One founder was Gaylord Nelson who conceived the idea for the first Earth Day in the United States. The date of Earth Day was April 22 and was...

    Read More
  • 500 Days of Summer essay

    ... Meghan McEwan The film 500 Days of Summer we see a developing relationship between the two main characters Tom and Summer. Some might deny that this is a love story because it doesn’t have your typical happy ending, but none the less it is a love story with a lot to say about relationships and the types of love that are evolved d...

    Read More

Discover the Best Free Essays on StudyMode

Conquer writer's block once and for all.

High Quality Essays

Our library contains thousands of carefully selected free research papers and essays.

Popular Topics

No matter the topic you're researching, chances are we have it covered.