1. Why was Washington the only real choice for president in the first presidential election? How was this situation similar to the Constitutional Convention? 2. Where was he inaugurated?
3. How did Washington change the way he got advice from the heads of departments 4. Who made up Washington’s first cabinet?
5. Why was Jefferson an excellent choice for his spot?
6. What post did John Jay take up?
7. What law set up the federal court system? Describe it. 8. Describe the shaky financial situation of the new country. 9. Why did Hamilton propose the assumption of state debts? 10. How do you think the funding at par scheme of Hamilton affected government finances? 11. Why did Hamilton propose moving the capital from NY to the Chesapeake? 12. Why is Hamilton called the “father of the national debt”? Why did he consider the debt a blessing? 13. Why did Hamilton propose a tariff? (two reasons)
14. Why did Hamilton propose a Bank of the United States? Why did he think it was legal? 15. Why did Jefferson take an opposite view of the Bank of the US? 16. What was the structure and charter of the BUS like?
17. What is an excise tax?
18. Why did Pennsylvania farmers rebel over the idea?
19. What was the main result of the Whiskey Rebellion?
20. Why did permanent political parties worry Washington and the public at large? 21. How have political parties affected political life in America during our history? (specifically the two-party system) 22. What did the most conservative federalists think about the French Revolution? Why? 23. What did most Americans think about the French Revolution at the outset? 24. How did events change the perception of most Americans concerning the French Revolution? 25. How did Jefferson view the bloodshed of French Revolution? 26. Why did Washington issue his Neutrality Proclamation? What did it say? 27. How did Jeffersonians view the Neutrality Proclamation of 1793? Why? 28. How did the Citizen Genet affair impact the debate over the French Revolution in the United States? 29. Why did France feel slighted over the Neutrality Proclamation? 30. How did American neutrality actually affect the French? 31. Why was America not actually in violation of the Treaty of Alliance with France? 32. How did Great Britain violate the Treaty of Paris?
33. How did Great Britain help to cause Indian trouble on the American frontier in the 1790s? 34. Describe American defeats at the hands of Indian tribes in 1790 and 1791. 35. Who was Mad Anthony Wayne?
36. Who was Little Turtle?
37. What was the result of the Battle of Fallen Timbers?
38. Describe the Treaty of Greenville? Did the Indians gain anything from it? 39. How did British actions in the French West Indies affect British-American relations? 40. Why did Washington and Hamilton resist calls for war against Britain in the 1790s? 41. Describe Jay’s Treaty.
42. How did Jay’s Treaty affect the negotiation of Pinckney’s Treaty? 43. What was Pinckney’s Treaty and why was it important? 44. What did Washington warn against in his “farewell address”? 45. Describe Washington’s popularity as he left office.
46. Why did Jefferson become vice president in 1797 despite the fact that he was of a different party than Adams? 47. Why was Adams’s personality a handicap when he became president? How did he view Hamilton? 48. Describe the XYZ affair in detail.
49. What slogan is associated with the XYZ affair?
50. What were the domestic results of the XYZ affair?
51. What were the results of the XYZ affair regarding France? 52. Why did Adams shy away from war against France?
53. What was the result of Hamilton’s mission to France in 1800? 54. Why were the Alien and Sedition Acts passed?
55. Describe the Alien Acts? Why did they eventually have little impact? 56. Describe the Sedition Acts. Who was punished heavily by the Sedition Acts? 57. Who was Matthew Lion?
58. Why did the Federalists write the Sedition Act to expire? Who was it aimed at? 59. What were the Virginia and Kentucky Resolutions? Upon what were they based? Who wrote them? 60. What is nullification?
61. Who supported the Federalists in the election of 1800? Who supported the Republicans? 62. Describe Jefferson’s view of the common man and state’s rights. 63. What was the importance of property ownership, according to Jefferson 64. What were the major differences between the Republicans and Federalists on domestic policy? 65. What differences did they have on trade and foreign policy?