Street Children

Topics: Poverty, The Streets, Violence Pages: 3 (1227 words) Published: December 1, 2010
Street Children
Causes and Effects
In the last 100 years , The Number of street children has risen in a scary way .The United Nations lately tried to estimate Their number .The estimated number was terrifying ,it was 150 million and rising daily .These children are part of the of future of our communities. Their age range is from three to eighteen years old, 40% of them are homeless. Imagine a three years old child roaming the streets with no place to go with no home! While the other 60% work on the streets to support their families .The Problem is that these street children are not in one country, not even one continent but they are all over the world especially in Africa, north and south America .According to statistics in the year 2000, the street children reached three-hundred and fifty thousand and rising, while in Latin America and Caribbean their number reached four hundred and ten thousand .On the other hand in all the developing world the number of street children reached 2.5 million .But that is not all, These children while they are in the streets unable to go to school, they face a lot of problems like child trafficking, prostitution and working under severe conditions which are all against children rights. (Ennew)

Identifying reasons for the existence of street children is essential in order to find a permanent solution for the problem, one of the main factors that contributes in the dramatic increase of street children is Poverty which caused by underemployment and low education standards and the lack of awareness of the benefits of family planning and birth control ways which leads to high birth rates, And in some part of the world specifically in developing countries like Rwanda and the Cambodia, the population has been pushed above the capacity of land and thus the standard of living has decreased and where the average number of children per family is eight, and according to official statistics 35 percent of the population in Cambodia lives...

Bibliography: child safe international. 2007. 2010 <>.
Ennew, Judith. Difficult Circumstances. 2003. 8 november 2010 <>.
Kospoka, Anthony. "The problem of street children in africa : an ignored tragedy." 21 4 2000.
Prof.Martin. gvnet. 2009. 2010 <>.
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay about Homeless Children
  • Essay about Revolution Required for Rogue Street Warriors
  • Street Children Essay
  • Saving The Dreams Of Homeless Children: Article Analysis Essay
  • Homeless Children in America Essay
  • This paper is about the street children and their problems
  • Street Children Essay
  • The Plight of Children at Risk [Orphaned and Vulnerable Children] Research Paper

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free