STRATEGIC PLANNING (MNG301-A)
Module Overview: Topics 1-7
2013 Semester 2
1. Administrative matters
2. Course overview per topic
3. Interactive exercises
4. Upcoming examination
5. Time out!
Mr. SK Bhoya
Mrs. NV Moraka
(012) 429-4220 or Busman@unisa.ac.za
Two Compulsory assignments due dates:
12 September 2013 and 03 October 2013
Self-assessment assignments on page 46 in TL101
Topic 1: All about Strategic Management
STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT: is defined as a deliberate effort by the organisation to allocate resources in such a way that the organisation could realise an above average return in order to have a competitive advantage over its competitors over long-term for the wealth maximisation of all its stakeholders. 4
Strategic Planning Process (diagram)
Generic strategies &
Formulation & Choices
The strategic planning process (explained)
• The strategic planning is a thinking stage.
It starts with the vision and mission statements.
• Internal and external environmental analyses are done to identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
• The long-term goals are formulated and then strategy selection takes place.
Strategic Management Process
Generic strategies & Grand strategies: Formulation & Choices
Drivers for strategy implementation Structural drivers and instruments Strategic control
The strategic Management Process (explained)
• The strategic planning is a thinking stage. It starts with the vision and mission statements. Internal and external
References: • Ehlers, T & Lazenby, J. 2010. Strategic Management Southern African concepts and