University of Phoenix Material
Starting with the Basics
Log on to the University of Phoenix eCampus web page located at https://ecampus.phoenix.edu/portal/portal/public/login.aspx. Explore the resources available on the site and use them to answer the following questions.
1. WHAT ARE THE 6 MATH LABS AVAILABLE FOR STUDY IN THE CENTER FOR MATHEMATICS EXCELLENCE? HINT. CLICK THE RUNNING START LINK AND LOOK UNDER OTHER MATH CONTENT.
a. Self Assessment
b. ALEKS Math Refresher
c. Pre Algebra Review
d. Algebra 1
e. Algebra 2
f. Introduction to Statistics
2. Which three reviewing services are available to students through the Center for Writing Excellence?
a. Write Point
b. CWE Review
c. Plagiarism Checker
3. Which formatting tool does University of Phoenix offer you to create a document consistent with APA guidelines? Riverpoint Writer
4. Which resource in the “Tutorials & Guides” section of the Center for Writing Excellence offers tips about how to format using APA style according to the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.)? APA Format and Style Checklist
5. Use the following information to correctly build a reference consistent with APA guidelines:
• Book title: Understanding Health Insurance: A Guide to Billing and Reimbursement • Edition: 9th
• Authors: Michelle A. Green and JoAnn C. Rowell
• City of publication: Clifton Park
• State of publication: New York
• Name of the publisher: Delmar Cengage Learning
• Year the book was published: 2008
Green, M. A., & Rowell, J. C. (2008). Understanding Health Insurance: A Guide to Billing and
Reimbursement (9th ed.). Clifton Park, New York: Delmar Cengage Learning.
6. Reference any book you have available. Use the proper APA formatting to reference your book. Examples and help are found in the Library tab under Useful Links on the right side.
Seuss, Dr., & Egolf, R. L. (1957). The Cat in the Hat . New York, : Random House.
1. What are the 5 icon headings available in the “Grammar and Writing Guides” section of the Center for Writing Excellence?
a. Writing Guide
b. English Language Learners
d. Grammar Mechanics
e. Grammar Glossary
2. Locate the definitions of active and passive voice using the Writing Style resources in the Grammar and Writing Guide. Select which of the following sentences is written in the active voice and which is written in passive voice.
a. Some of the content of this document was previously submitted by Mary. (Passive voice) b. Mary previously submitted some of the content of this document. (Active voice)
1. Define plagiarism in your own words. Explain the difference between summarizing, paraphrasing, and plagiarizing. Use the Plagiarism resources in the Grammar and Writing Guides to assist you. How will you avoid plagiarism in your college work? Explain your answers in at least 50 words.
Plagiarism is using someone else’s work and passing it off as my own work or idea.
Summarizing- sentences echo the key concepts (without rewriting them word-for-word) introduced in the introductory paragraph and developed in the supporting paragraphs.
Paraphrasing- restating a point or points made by the original author, and it indicates the meaning of the text without using the words of the author of the source.
Plagiarizing- is presenting someone else’s ideas as your own
3. Add the correct punctuation to the following sentences:
a. Karen is a knowledgeable, intelligent person.
b. Roger left the bookstore. He met the learning team at the coffee shop.
1. WHAT ARE THE 3 MAJOR ARTICLE DATABASES FOUND IN THE UNIVERSITY LIBRARY? c. Gale Powersearch
7. Where is the University Library Handbook located, and what is its last copyright date? a. Program tab/ under publications
8. List the 6 mandatory...
Links: Seuss, Dr., & Egolf, R. L. (1957). The Cat in the Hat . New York, : Random House.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document