DESCRIPTIVE STATISTICS: NUMERICAL MEASURES
MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS
In the following multiple choice questions, circle the correct answer.
1. Which of the following provides a measure of central location for the data? a. standard deviation b. mean c. variance d. range Answer: b
2. A numerical value used as a summary measure for a sample, such as sample mean, is known as a a. population parameter b. sample parameter c. sample statistic d. population mean Answer: c
3. Since the population size is always larger than the sample size, then the sample statistic a. can never be larger than the population parameter b. can never be equal to the population parameter c. can be smaller, larger, or equal to the population parameter d. can never be smaller than the population parameter Answer: c
4. ( is an example of a a. population parameter b. sample statistic c. population variance d. mode Answer: a
5. The hourly wages of a sample of 130 system analysts are given below. mean = 60 range = 20 mode = 73 variance = 324 median = 74 The coefficient of variation equals a. 0.30% b. 30% c. 5.4% d. 54% Answer: b
6. The variance of a sample of 169 observations equals 576. The standard deviation of the sample equals
a. 13 b. 24 c. 576 d. 28,461 Answer: b
7. The median of a sample will always equal the a. mode b. mean c. 50th percentile d. all of the above answers are correct Answer: c
8. The median is a measure of a. relative dispersion b. absolute dispersion c. central location d. relative location Answer: c
9. The 75th percentile is referred to as the a. first quartile b. second quartile c. third quartile d. fourth quartile Answer: c
10. The pth percentile is a value such that at least p percent of the observations are a. less than or equal to this value b. less than this value c.