Student Handout 4
Extracted Material from Sample Format for a SOP
This student handout contains one page of extracted material from the following publication:
Sample Format for a SOP
Disclaimer: The training developer developed this extracted material. The text may contain passive voice, misspellings, grammatical errors, etc., and may not be in compliance with the Army Writing Style Program.
"Prepare a Platoon SOP"
You are a squad leader in 3rd Platoon. Your platoon sergeant gave you an order to write a platoon SOP for the entire platoon (16 personnel) for the M4 or M4A1 carbine’s weekly maintenance. • He instructed you to date the SOP with today’s date, your unit address and office file symbol, and to use the format prescribed by local procedures. • He wants you to address the clearing, disassembling, cleaning, inspection for serviceability, lubricating and reassembling of the carbine. • He provided you with the following doctrinal references: Lubricate order (LO); STP 21–1–SMCT; TM 9–1005–319–10; and DA Form 2404, Equipment Inspection and Maintenance Worksheet. • This SOP could cause reasonable damage to the nation’s national security, if it falls into the enemy’s hands. You are to complete three copies of DA Form 2404 for each M4 or M4A1 carbine. Turn in one copy to the armorer, keep one copy for yourself and give a copy to your platoon sergeant. The arms room is open daily from 0900 hrs to 1630 hrs.
SAMPLE FORMAT FOR A SOP
NAME OF ORGANIZATION
TITLE OF SOP
(Office File Symbol) SOP Number
1. PURPOSE: Is a brief statement that outlines the purpose of the SOP, which describes its function, its applicability, and its objective.
2. APPLICABILITY: Determines the SOP audience/distribution....
References: Determines the regulation(s) that govern the procedure(s) performed.
4. RESPONSIBILITIES: A brief statement that explains personnel actions, if necessary.
5. PROCEDURES: The main contents of the body. Procedures are an orderly series of specific actions taken to carry out an assignment.
6. SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS: Any additional information needed to clarify procedures in the SOP, if necessary.
(Signature Block of Authorizing Authority)
Please join StudyMode to read the full document