soft skills

Topics: Education, Employment, Soft skills Pages: 2 (508 words) Published: April 16, 2014
Introduction
Soft skills( communication, time management, teamwork..ect) are introduced to complement University Malaysia Panha (UMP)students’ technical skills and knowledge. Generally, today’s job market demands more than just knowledge and skills. Beyond these job-specific technical skills, soft skills are nearly universally sought by employers. The challenge is to introduce a program which allows students to learn and capitalize their soft-skills competencies. Soft Skills department is given the responsibility to organize necessary programs based on feedback from the industries (Fatmawati, Mansor, Mohd Azam, Muhammad Nubli & Norrihan, 2005). The implementation of Soft Skills programs requires effort from all quarters as this program cannot be realized without the support from each and every UMP associate and student. It is the university’s mission to produce proficient graduates physically, emotionally, spiritually and intellectually. Soft Skills concept was initiated in 2002, and it has been implemented in stages since then. Soft Skills program is continually evaluated and improved with regards to its method of implementation, content and evaluation to match the current market and MOHE’s needs. With the changing educational trends, versatility in educational courses, availability of masses of qualified personnel, the competition for job acquisition and job sustainability is becoming more and more tough. To get an edge over the competitors, students are left with no choice but to add values to their hard skills with soft skills to exhibit their true potential. Hard skills are academic skills, experience and level of expertise while soft skills are self-developed, interactive, communication, human and transferable skills. Literature suggests that hard skills contribute to only 15% of one’s success while remaining 85% is made by soft skills(stated from Wats, M and Wats, R.K). Most employers these days want to hire, retain and promote persons who are...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Soft Skills Management Essay
  • Soft Skills – a Vital Aspect in Career Growth Research Paper
  • Essay on Entrepreneurship: Skills and Instruments
  • Unemployment and Skills Graduates Essay
  • A Study on the Mental Setup of the Working People in Managing Conflict Through Soft Skills with Special Reference to Gender Essay
  • critical thinking skills assignment Essay
  • Essay on Soft Skills
  • Hard Skills and Soft Skills for Manager Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free