For this coursework I had to find out the Cations and Anions for a given substance. This is the method I used. Firstly I measured out 5 grams of Mummion and added it to a 100 cm3 of distilled water I stirred this for a little while until I was left with a red solution. Next I filtered this solution through filter paper into a conical flask. I now had a clear solution, I put this solution into an evaporating basin until all the water had evaporated and I was left with some white crystals. I gathered these crystals and put them into a watch glass.
Now I had to find out the Cations and Anions present in this substance. Firstly I done the flame test which gave me that Cations that where present in this and then I done some specific test for to find Anions. After doing all of this I found my Cations and Anions that where present in the Mummion sample that I was given.
I found out what Cations where present by doing a flame test. When I put my substance in the Bunsen burner I got a bright yellow colour which means that the Cation for my substance was sodium ions.
To find the Anions I had to go through a series of tests to find out which Anion was present. From all the tests I found out that the test for bromine halide worked and the test for sulphate also worked.
In conclusion I found out that the ions present in my sample where sodium, sulphate and bromine. The Cation was sodium and the Anions where sulphur and bromine this means that my sample was sodium sulphate or sodium bromide.
My experiment went very well but if I could redo this I would make some changes. The Mummion that I had filtered was not completely clear, so I would filter this couple of times before putting it into an evaporating basin. There may have been some measuring errors whilst...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document