Sociology and Social Class
1. A system of ranking in a society that perpetuates unequal power and resources is:
c. Social mobility
2. According to Schaefer (2015), “a class system is a social ranking based primarily on economic position in which achieved characteristics can influence _______________,” the ability to move up or down in the stratification system.
a. Social dominance
b. Social mobility
c. Cultural universals
d. Symbolic interaction
3. While Karl Marx viewed social class as the influential factor for other inequalities in a capitalist society, Max Weber also included status and _______ as affecting one’s position in the stratification hierarchy.
4. The legacy of colonialism where less developed countries continue to depend on more developed countries is known as:
c. Social class
5. According to Schaefer (2015), _______________ is the “worldwide integration of government policies, cultures, social movements, and financial markets through trade and the exchange of ideas.”
c. Social class
6. Which of these is not a property of social minority groups that distinguishes them from the dominant group?
a. Unequal treatment
b. Different physical or cultural characteristics
c. Smaller numbers
d. Strong sense of solidarity
7. A ___________ group is differentiated by a society’s views about physical differences (e.g., based on skin color or hair texture); ______________ groups are distinguished by cultural characteristics or national origin.
a. Racial; Ethnic
b. Ethnic; Racial
c. Minority; Imaginary
d. Global; Class
8. Prejudice is a negative attitude about a category of people that often leads to discrimination, the denial of rights or opportunities to a particular group. ____________ discrimination occurs as a result of the normal functioning of society.