Social and Economic Development towards Sustainability in Tondo, Manila
Every day, people suffer from hunger, poverty, and pollution as a result of a low economic standard of a locale. It is caused by either the misleading of the government or the community or society itself, their lack of obedience to higher authority. The main problem in this locality involves the social, environmental, and political aspects within. For this reason, the community within the locale is disorganized and undeveloped. One example for this situation is Tondo, which is known to be the most unsafe place in the city of Manila, although it is a good location for the main culture of this locale, which is trade and business; it is located adjacently at the ocean and the main roads for less time and cost for transport. Many cases of crime, danger, hunger, pollution, environmental damage and imbalance, and poverty are well-known in this area. This is why planning is needed within the environment that development in society and economy should be dealt. Society is considered to be developed so that the every person within the community must be improved, and their thinking abilities should be broad enough to think for different solutions to develop the area. With the society improved, economy of this place may be developed in many ways to gain control of the environment through their knowledge of the proper use of every source within the area according to its location. Therefore, through social and economic development and proper maintenance, everything should be planned accordingly, leading towards sustainability.
1. Environmental Planning – a series of intellectual processes containing actions and policies towards the environment, whether manmade or natural; a process of sustaining, conserving, and managing the environment and development within a locality
2. Sustainability – the process of conserving especially of an...
References: 1. Angeles-Agdeppa, I.,Lana, R., Barba, C.(2003) A case study of dual forms of malnutrition among selected households in District 1, Tondo, Manila. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 12, Issue 4, pp. 438-446 from http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?sid=c42c4f5f-53f6-498c-8e30-a6be2e205bb1%40sessionmgr113&vid=1&hid=118&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=a9h&AN=12214440
2. Villegas, Dennis (2011) Tondo’s Ulingan: Life in Manila’s Inferno. The Philippine Online Chronicles from http://dennisvillegas.blogspot.com/2011/01/tondos-ulingan-life-in-manilas-inferno.html
3. Gamil, Jaymee T. (2012) Manila cops kill 4 Tondo ‘toughies’. Philippine Daily Inquirer from http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/216263/manila-cops-kill-4-tondo-%E2%80%98toughies%E2%80%99
4. Marsden, T., Franklin, A., Newton, J., & Middleton, J. (2010). Sustainability in practice: situated learning and knowledge for the evolving eco-economy. TPR: Town Planning Review, 81(5), 541-562. doi:10.3828/tpr.2010.19
5. Murray, M., Houston, D., Keaveney, S., Murtagh, B. (2009) Regulatory Planning for economic development in the countryside. TPR: Town Planning Review Vol. 80, Issue 2, p201-226
6. Blandy, D., Fenn, J. (2012) Sustainability: Sustaining Cities and Community Cultural Development. Studies in Art Education Vol. 5, Issue 4, p270-282
7. Daniels, Thomas (2009) A Trail Across Time: American Environmental Planning From City Beautiful to Sustainability. Journal of the American Planning Association Vol. 75, Issue 2, p178-192 from http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?sid=bd35361b-a944-4771-a540-f2ec80468e14%40sessionmgr112&vid=3&hid=28&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=vth&AN=37208256
8. Villegas, Dennis (2010) Life in Manila’s Hell: A glimpse of Smokey Mountain. Philippine Online Chronicles from http://thepoc.net/thepoc-features/buhay-pinoy/buhay-pinoy-features/6869-where-hope-seems-scarce-and-no-one-grows-old.html
9. Carvajal, Nancy (2012) Students ask CA to close Tondo dump. Philippine Daily Inquirer from http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/288432/students-ask-ca-to-close-tondo-dump
10. Flores, Wilson Lee (2005) Proud to be a Tondo Boy: An Excerpt. The Many Faces of Tondo from http://www.manila-map.com/history.html
Please join StudyMode to read the full document