Situational Analysis

Topics: Strategic management, Mobile phone, Strategic planning Pages: 36 (11384 words) Published: September 5, 2013
Introduction

Mobile phones are now becoming not only a talking device but also a versality of uses and in the country like india we are having huge potential of Mobile phone and huge market for handset in india, and government of india is also making policies so that mobile penetration will increase in rural area and and mobile phones can be used not only as a communication device but also a utility device for various services at their door steps.

At a time when telecom companies in certain countries are finding it hard to sustain and improve their top & bottom line, it’s a different story all together in India. With a thriving mobile phone market, the country has over 900 million mobile subscribers as of January 2012(report by Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, TRAI). Urban subscribers are roughly 65% of this whereas subscribers in rural area constitute the rest 35%. The Government of India recently announced a scheme under which each and every family which falls below the poverty line will be provided a mobile phone plus a talk time voucher worth INR 200 every month. 

E-Choupal, an initiative by ITC (a major FMCG player in India) delivers real-time information and customized knowledge to farmers which improves their decision making ability, helps them fetch a better price for their produce. Eduvarta, an award winning UNESCO recognized social SMS enterprise aims to use mobile phones intelligently. It provides local information through SMS on topics such as politics, crime, water & electricity problems in the area, etc. to the local people. Eduvarta has a reach of 700,00 households and is still expanding its reach by tying up with community leaders in the villages. Another local NGO in the state of Uttar Pradesh is using mobile phones as a tool for teaching alphabets and calculation.Coupled with the onset of internet facilities in mobile devices these days, mobile phones will go a long way to empower the poorest and disadvantaged sections of the society through effective communication techniques.

Rural India is expected to fuel the growth in mobile phone services in the next four years, as cell phones become a vital tool for the government in its financial inclusion programme, according to Global consultancy group Deloitte.

Deloitte said that low penetration levels of mobile phones would provide more business opportunities for service providers.

“The next wave of growth in subscriptions will come from semi—urban and rural areas. Today, the penetration of mobile phones in urban areas is already 100 per cent while in rural areas it is only 23 per cent,” it said.

RBI has focused its 100 per cent financial inclusion plan on the public sector Banks. SBI, the country’s largest public sector bank is currently piloting two initiatives for financial inclusion that are based on the mobile—platform.SBI at present has a tie—up with two organisations for providing m—banking services in rural areas. Both initiatives were carried out in alliance with the application developers. Consumers are also looking for diverse vernacular content at affordable prices — this would enable proliferation of 3G services across the country especially rural India

HDFC Bank, in collaboration with Vodafone India, has launched “HDFC Bank Mobile Bank Account with Vodafone m-paisa”, bringing mobile banking to millions of unbanked Indians. This mobile service is inspired by M-Pesa, which is a successful mobile phone−based money transfer service in Kenya. By this service, the customer can deposit and withdraw money from a network of agents, including airtime resellers and retail outlets acting as banking agents.

• Eko, a mobile banking technology provider, has tied up with SBI and ICICI Banks to help people create a bank account and perform basic transactions at local grocery stores.

• Idea Cellular also has a similar partnership with Axis Bank. Subscribers would be able to open “No-frills Savings Bank Accounts” at Idea’s...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • SWOT Analysis and Tools Essay
  • Case Analysis Study Approach Essay
  • Tescos Pest Analysis Essay
  • External Analysis Essay
  • Marketing Analysis Research Paper
  • industry analysis Essay
  • Situational Analysis Essay
  • How to Make Swot Analysis??? Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free