PS1 Sharecropping Essay Outline
Thesis: Sharecropping was created in order for landowning Southerners to keep newly freed AfricanAmericans in a situation very similar to slavery.
A. Soon after the Civil War, the South enacted sharecropping 1. Sharecroppers were legally freed but economically enslaved 2. Sharecropping ensured that landowners stayed in power B. Thesis statement
C. Support for thesis statement
1. Tenants were forced to stay on the farm
2. Sharecropping was profitable for the landowner, but constant debt and mistreatment for the tenant
3. Sharecropping was economic imprisonment for the newly freed slaves II. Body (Summary of contract and both parties’ responsibilities) A. Tenant’s work responsibilities
1. Must furnish his own tools, except those provided by the landowner B. Must cover most expenses ex. fertilizer; seed; irrigation 1. Cannot work off the plantation as long as there is work to be done on the land
2. Tenant must do any extra work that the landowner asks of him B. Landowner’s responsibilities
1. To provide the team, plow, and farming implements 2. Direct sharecroppers in their exact duties
3. Oversee work done by sharecroppers in the plantation 4. Partially pay for some expenses ex. manure
5. Sales of cotton ie. when and where
III. Body (What did sharecropping mean for either party) A. Sharecropping’s impact on the tenant (freedman) 1. The tenant often sunk farther and farther into debt B. Sharecropping’s impact on the landowner
1. Gave the landowners able work
2. The landowners were able to take advantage of the tenants’ situation and keep them in constant debt and economic slavery IV. Body (How did sharecropping affect the “New South”) A. Landowners were given a steady workforce through sharecropping B. Freedmen went right back into slavery through sharecropping
Yang 2 ...
Bibliography: Brown. Joshua, Jaffee, David, Lichtenstein, Nelson, and Roy Rosenzweig. Who
Built America?. Boston; New York: Bedford/St. Martin’s, N.A.
N.A. “Sharecropping.” Wikipedia. N.A.; 9.22.2013.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document