‘Maring’ death toll now at 25
By Elena L. Aben
Published: August 27, 2013
Manila, Philippines -- The death toll from last week’s storm-enhanced monsoon rains rose to 25 while the number of people affected by massive flooding neared the three million mark, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said yesterday. With many areas still submerged in floodwaters, the NDRRMC went on declared a blue alert as tropical depression “Nando” slightly intensified. In its latest bulletin, the NDRRMC identified the latest fatalities as Archie Camueda, 37; Nazareth Dulao, 15; and Rafael Lementil, 43– all drowning victims from Olongapo City. Three people remain missing. The NDRRMC report also showed the number of population affected by the massive flooding in several parts of Luzon, including Metro Manila, increased to 642,884 families or 2,928,348 people in 2,048 barangays in 154 towns and 37 cities. Of the more than 2.9 million affected by the floods and rains, 17,883 families or 78,060 people are still in 359 evacuation centers. It said that 354 areas in 43 towns and cities in Regions 3, 4A, 4B, and in Metro Manila are still flooded. The NDRRMC likewise placed the estimated cost of damage at more than P633 million, including P494,943,069.83 in agriculture and P138,139,781 in infrastructure. It said 494 houses were totally destroyed while 1,037 were partially damaged. A total of 37 areas in Luzon are now under state of calamity, including five provinces, 10 cities, 15 municipalities, and seven barangays in regions 1, 2, 3, 4A, 4B, Metro Manila, and the Cordilleras.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document