The Role of Sex Education in Opposing the Effects of Pornography
Agramon, Krizia Anne
Enriquez, Astro Jake
Galang, Gino George
Submitted in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements
In English 04 (Research Methods and Application)
College of Arts and Sciences
San Beda College Mendiola, Manila
The thesis attached hereto, entitled “The Role of Sex Education in Opposing the Effects of Pornography”, prepared and submitted by Krizia Anne Agramon, Astro Jake Enriquez, Gino George Galang, and Soleandrea Ocampo, in partial fulfillment of the requirements in English 04 (Research Methods and Application) is hereby accepted.
Carissa C. Cabaysa
The researchers wish to extend their heartfelt gratitude to the following persons:
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Table of Contents
List of Tables and Figures
Background of the Study
Statement of the Problem
Significance of the Study
Scope and Delimitation of the Study
Theoretical and Conceptual Framework
Review of Related Literature
A Brief History of Sex Education in the Philippines
p. Recent Legislation and Related Current Events
Stand of Parents in Implementing Sex Education
Stand of the Church in Implementing Sex Education
p. Stand of Educators in
Implementing Sex Education
Definition of Terms
Sources of Data
Data Gathering Instruments
Data Gathering Procedures
Data Analysis Procedure
Presentation, Analysis and Interpretation of Data
Summary, Conclusion and Recommendations
LIST OF TABLES AND FIGURES
Background of the Study
In light of the talks and debates in 2010 about the Reproductive Health Bill and the action of the Department of Education to adopt sex education in school curricula, people have been clamoring various actions to enforce the ideals of this bill, to protest the bill itself, and prevent the implementation of sex education classes. According to Rep. Edcel Lagman (2010) in his article in the Philippine Daily Inquirer, one of the aims of the Reproductive Health Bill is to provide sexual education.
The effect of these sex education classes on adolescent’s view of the morality of pornography is the primary concern of the research. Pornography, as far as the researchers know, is an actuation that is present in the life of adolescent males and females. Pornography is rampant in media (print and electronic), and thus gains wide audiences and adolescents are able to obtain such pornographic materials easily.
Media is increasingly getting more space in the lives of our youth. Children these days learn sex on media. Most children are already knowledgeable about sex through various print and electronic media. (Calasagsag, 1996) This finding is supported by the YAFS 3, which reported mass media as the new surrogate parent (2000 State of the Philippine Population Report 2nd Edition : PINOY YOUTH: Making Choices, Building Voices ,Commission of Population). The McCann-Erickson study (2000) found that the media has become the determining factor to what is perceived as right, wrong, and important. Among the youths from and living in the NCR are those who show...
References: • Arellano University (2010). Education: Goals and Objectives of Arellano University (High School). Arellano University: http://www.arellano.edu.ph/institutes.php?article_id=44&page=. Retrieved September 28, 2010.
• Barrinuevo, J.L, Herrera, C.F., Requejo, R.E. (August 3, 2004). Bill advocates sex education. Manila Standard: p. 1.
• Biazon, R., 14th Congress of the Philippines. (2007) Reproductive Health Care Act: An act providing for reproductive health care structures and appropriating funds therefor. Manila: 14th Congress of the Philippines.
• Calasagsag, S.S. (February 26, 2010). Street kids learn the ABC’s of sex from media. Manila Chronicle: p. 5
• Catholic News Agency (July 6, 2010)
• Commission of Population. (2000) State of the Philippine Population Report 2nd Edition : “PINOY YOUTH: Making Choices, Building Voices”. Mandaluyong City: Commission on Population.
• Department of Education. (2010) Memorandum No. 261: Operationalization of the UnFPA-Assisted Project “Institutionalizing Adolescent Reproductive Health (ARH) through Lifeskills-Based Education”. Pasig City: Department of Education.
• DepEd on Sex Ed: It’s not About Sex (June 5, 2010). ABS-CBN News: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/06/05/10/deped-sex-ed-its-not-about-sex. Retrieved September 28, 2010.
• Dizon, D. (June 21, 2010) DepEd sued over sex education plan. ABS-CBN News: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/06/21/10/deped-sued-over-sex-education-plan. Retrieved Sept. 28, 2010.
• Editorial: Sex education. (September 14, 2009). Manila Times: p. A6
• Espinosa, H
• Esplanada, J. (March 31, 2008). DepEd Set to Launch Sex Education in Public Schools. Inquirer.net: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/nation/view/20080331-127531/DepEd-set-to-launch-sex-education-in-public-schools. Retrieved Sept. 28, 2010.
• Filas, F. (1966). Sex education in the family. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall Publishing.
• Flores, H. (June 20, 2010). Former CBCP head urges DepEd to consult parents on sex education. The Philippine Star: http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=586104&publicationSubCategoryId=200 . Retrieved September 28, 2010.
• Georpe, R.S. (January 26, 2002). Let’s talk about sex, mom! Manila Bulletin: p. F4.
• Guenero, I. V. (1982). Sexorama – sex education = sariling paturuan. Metro Manila: Guenero Publishing. p. 3, 10
• Integrated Regional Information Networks (IRIN) (June 18, 2010)
• Lagarde, R. (june 18, 2010). Prelate Says Parents Key to Sex Education. Union of Catholic Asian News: http://www.ucanews.com/2010/06/18/parents-the-key-to-sex-education-talks/ . Retrieved September 28, 2010.
• Lagman, E.C., et al. (2008). House Bill No. 5043: An act providing for a national policy on reproductive health, responsible parenthood and population development, and for other purposes. Quezon City: 14th Congress of the Philippines.
• Lagman, E. (2010) Reproductive health bill: Facts, fallacies. 2010 Presidentiables Blog: http://2010presidentiables.wordpress.com/2010/01/16/reproductive-health-bill-facts-fallacies/. Retrieved Sept. 28, 2010.
• Landicho, O.R. (March 13, 1994). Importance of sex education among Filipino students cited. Times Journal: p. 14.
• Luib, R.T. (August 16, 1994). Walling off the parents. Business World: p.1,7
• Macairan, E
• McCann Erickson, Inc. (2000). The McCann Erickson Youth Study 2000: A Synopsis. Manila: McCann Erickson, Inc.
• Miller, P.M. (1994). Sex is not a four letter word. Quezon City: Kadena Books.
• O’Brian, J.A. (1980). Sex-character education: exploring facts of life to young. New York: Macmillan Publishing. P. 3, 91
• Operation Brotherhood Montessori, Montessori Inc
• Pornography (2010). Pornography. Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pornography. Retrieved Sept. 28, 2010.
• Puno Jr., R.V. (June 22, 2006) Deped sex ed. Philippine Star: p.13
• Reproductive Health Bill in the Philippines (2010)
• Rubrico, J.G.U. (July 21, 2010). Sex Vs God in the Philippines. Asia Times: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/LG21Ae01.html. Retrieved September 28, 2010.
• Santiago, M.A. (March 12, 2008) Pagtutol ng simbahan sa sex education, idudulog sa SC. Manila Standard: p. 4
• Sex Education (2010) Overview
• Sex Education (2010) Sex Education worldwide. Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_education. Retrieved Sept. 28, 2010.
• Sex Education Debate Heats Up in the Philippines (June 21, 2010). Yahoo! Health: http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/afp/philippinessexeducationchurchun. Retrieved Sept. 28, 2010.
• Solmerin, F.S. (June 12, 2006). Education justifies ‘sex lessons’. Manila Standard Today: p. A3.
• Teenage Pregnancy: A Rising Trend Among Young Women (January 10, 2006). Global Pinoy Health Features: http://www.globalpinoy.com/pinoyhealth/ph_feature/FE011006.php. Retrieved September 28, 2010.
• Teves, O. (June 1, 2010) Philippine tests sex education in public schools. Boston News: http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2010/06/01/philippines_tests_sex_education_in_public_schools/. Retrieved September 28, 2010.
• Villegas, B.M. (November 27, 2009). Sex Educationin the RH bill. Manila Bulletin: p. 11
• Youth lacks access to sex education
Please join StudyMode to read the full document